[Reader-list] First posting--IFS-2007

MRSG mrsg at vsnl.com
Sat Mar 10 08:56:06 IST 2007

Posting 1

This is the Posting  # 1 for the SARAI Independent Fellowship Programme, 2005-06 from Mohit Ray and Soma Ghosh. Our project is Heritage Ponds Of Kolkata: A Contemporary History. Soma Ghosh  is involved in performing arts and social research. I (Mohit Ray) am an environmental engineer by profession, guest faculty in School of Environmental Studies, Jadavpur University and involved in human rights movement including environment for more than two decades.

It may be interesting to know, even to a Kolkatan, that Kolkata is a city of ponds. When Job Charnok, the first well-known British merchant, came in search of a place suitable to embark on the first signs of British mercantile capital, he set up his office by the side of a big pond called Lal Dighi, which still exists to remind of this city's colonial past. There are many ponds like this Lal Dighi with rich historical linkages. More than 50 streets and places of Kolkata are named officially after ponds, such as Shyampukur, Manoharpukur, etc. Even after the continuous onslaught of the real estate sector, a large number of ponds still survive in the city. Still the city has more than 3,000 ponds within its municipal area. I have been working on these urban waterbodies for quite sometime both as an environmental researcher and activist. The significance of these urban and peri-urban waterbodies (ponds) as water resources is being appreciated recently. While working on different aspects of these waterbodies, it was also evident that these ponds form a part of the cultural history of the city. Many of these ponds are there for several centuries. However there is still no proper documentation of such important city heritages. While Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) has initiated steps to enlist and protect heritage buildings and places, the heritage ponds have not been thought of. This study will add to the urban cultural history where the city ponds are not mere past heroes, but active and embedded agents of a thriving present.

We appeal to all Kolkatans in the Readers List to inform us about any old pond in their locality. By 'old' we prefer at least the waterbody should be there for more than 75 years. If you know any senior person in your locality who can enlighten us on this matter, kindly inform. You can ring me at 9831085215 / 2416 5389 or mail in this list. Your contribution will be duly acknowledged.

Thanks

Mohit Ray