[Reader-list] [Announcements] Announcement: Barcamp Bangalore 3: SocialTech

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Fri Mar 9 17:27:21 IST 2007

Barcamp Bangalore 3: SocialTech, where technology meets society at
large.

At this event, we intend to share stories of technology
implementations that affected society around us, and social norms
that affected the course of technology.

We have stories of e-governance, electronic record keeping, and what
it means for those without access; Indian copyright law and
innovation in music; and celluloid, movies and the resultant shaping
of society and culture. We’d love to hear more, perhaps on the
application of technology to understand the human condition, or
perhaps on the growing spread of personal communication technologies
and the unexpected but undeniable shift in the landscape of mass
media and governance.

Surely you’ve got a tale to narrate? A tale that escaped popular
attention and deserves to be brought out and shared? A cautionary
tale of how things may not always get better? Bring it to Barcamp.
Help your fellow campers understand what it really means, beneath the
surface of the narrative, and of how it affects our lives and what we
should be prepared for.

For the regular Barcampers: this event may be somewhat different from
what you may have come to expect. This time we’re not as interested
in the tech itself as in what it means to the society that receives
it. You’re welcome to continue to use the space for what you’re
comfortable with, but requested to participate in expanding the
presence and social impact of Barcamp, while retaining its technology
flavour.

March 31st and April 1st, at the campus of the Indian Institute of
Management, Bangalore.

More about Barcamp Bangalore at http://barcampbangalore.org/

Discussion of this theme at http://jace.seacrow.com/archive/
2007/03/09/barcampbangalore3