[Reader-list] First Posting, Mithun Narayan Bose, I-Fellow, Kolkata

bangali_ mnb bangali_mnb at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 18:56:27 IST 2007

First Posting
  Mithun Narayan Bose, I-Fellow,Kolkata:

  Folklorists usually venture towards the remotest end of this planet to do their research, but they often forget the living and tangible existence of urban folklore in our day-to-day city-life. Hence, this field of culture mapping is yet to be properly scaled down, academically.
  In the course of history, it has been seen that, the city and the urban space is constantly devouring up the rural life, space and culture and folklore is such an everlasting process that it had adapted the changing of time and the shift in lifestyle. That is why, the term ‘Urban Folklore’ has been coined and presently it is prominent among the different branches of urban studies.
  The pictures drawn on the exterior part of the public transport (e.g., bus, truck, matador van, auto rickshaw etc.) are such instances that can be taken as unexplored examples of Urban Folk Art. The pictures drawn mainly on the backside of a cycle rickshaw and its other decorations are also included in this genre.
  Unlike the rickshaws of Allahabad or Dhaka, the rickshaws of Calcutta have certain urban features in the form and content of the pictures depicted on it. The themes and motifs are less traditional, the art form is more urban, and values and significance are more contemporary. Thus, the pictures represent the expectations, ambitions, collective memories and realizations of the rickshaw-dwellers.
  Henceforth, these pictures can be taken as a fine example of Urban Folk Art, which is inserting its roots into the tradition on one hand, and, is open to grab the newer dimensions as it come to these people naturally in course of time on the other hand and this two-faced process is being continued simultaneously. Another important feature of this art form is its dual nature in which the individuality of a rickshaw-dweller can be traced through the pictures, as well as his identity of being a part of a particular community.
  That is why; I was compelled to document this unique art form as an inquisitive researcher. I am grateful to Sarai for giving me a chance to make my dream true.

  I am Mithun Narayn Bose, a language-teacher from a Calcutta-school. I am interested in Poetry, Visual Arts and Urban Studies, particularly, in Urban Folk Art.