[Reader-list] on indian defeat in world cup

Taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 20:35:18 IST 2007

I wrote the following letter on the issue to BBC Hindi and the letter was included in today's program.

What is cricket doing to us?
I am listening to your reporting of the world cup with great interest. I learnt from the broadcast of Vishv Bharati about sad demise of Pakistani coach.
It was a very depressing news. (I was really impressed with Shafi Naqi Jamai's knowledge of Hindi words. I have always liked his reporting for BBC Urdu
service. He is really great.)
Another shocking news I heard was the vandalism of Dhoni's under-construction house after India's defeat against Bangladesh. I can't really understand what
could Dhoni do, when 5 established batsmen including 3 best batsmen (supposedly) of the world failed. The blame should primarily go to the captain who
said that he is not taking Bangladesh lightly, but did not mean it. When the morning conditions were in favor of bowlers he should not have elected to
bat. He included out of form Sehvag, of course, behind these decisions was an arrogance which media has filled in the Indian team, by chanting the names
of Sehvag, Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly as a mantra. India is a great team and Bangladesh, no matter what it does, will never be able to beat our strong
team.
But whatever, happened it is just a game. Victory and defeat are part of it. We should not be so rash in our reactions. The irony is that if Dhoni was involved
in some kind of corruption, the people wouldn't have even bothered to express their opinion against him. Do people ever vandalized the house of a person
who was proved guilty of accepting bribes of one crore? Do people vandalize of a person who is involved in murders of many people? Do people react in the
same fashion against corrupt politicians?
What has cricket done to the Indians? They have lost all sense of fairness. Did those who are shouting slogans against Indian players and damaging their
property, admired, Even for a moment the positive game of Bangladeshi team?
Taraprakash