[Reader-list] shiju first posting: Public Sphere as a Site of Knowledge Production: Negotiations over Tremors, Well Collapses and Coloured Rains in the Malayalam Press

Abhishek Hazra abhishek.hazra at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 12:39:05 IST 2007

sounds very interesting and looking forward to your paper (or early
drafts of it).
i would be interested to know how was the anti-superstition camp (with
its obvious left party affiliations) responding to and negotiating the
controversies that you have outlined.

on an entirely different context, i am also quite interested in the
malayali discourse around George Sudarshan and the tropes of 'lament'
and 'missed opportunity' (the nobel prize that was so tantalizingly
close) that recurr in discussions about Sudarshan.
and yes, i am obviously reminded of the J C Bose and Marconi
'controversy' about the wireless patent. in the preface to "Abyakto"
(the unsaid/un-expressed) his collection of popular essays in bengali
on science, Bose talks about setting up a special science court
(byagnanik adalat) in the country where deliberations on science can
happen in indian languages.
cheers,
abhishek