[Reader-list] Insights into Madrasa Media

arshad amanullah arshad.mcrc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:10:14 IST 2007

Maulana Khushtar Noorani Aligh is the editor-in-chief of the
Jaam-e-Noor, a monthly madrasa magazine from Delhi. He, in this
interview with Arshad Amanullah, provides insights into the domain of
the madrasa media and while critiquing it, he speaks of his vision for
introducing professional ethos in this sector. The discussion situated
within the post September 11 context, lays bare how the mainstream
media is perceived in the space of this lesser known media.

Q: When you started Jaam-e-Noor?

A: It is not me who started Jaam-e-Noor. My grandfather Allama
Arshadul Qadari (d: 2002) founded a magazine with the same name in
Kolkata in 1963. It had to shut down in 1964 due to his increasing
preoccupations with other projects. Thus, Jaam-e-Noor is not a new
magazine in the circle of madrasa journalism, though it is new in its
present avatar.

Q: How did you get the idea to revive it?

A: During my academic soujorn (1996-1998) to Libya, I've closely
observed how the journalism is practiced in the Arab world. My Diploma
in Print Journalism (2001) from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan, New Delhi
helped me in developing my own vision of quality journalism. My
sensibility got bruised when I used to see the way the madrasa
journals were brought out. That is why I was very eagerly looking for
an opportunity to translate my vision into reality.  On the occasion
of chahlum (a ceremony held on the 40th day from the date of a
person's demise) of my grandfather in 2002, I announced that I would
revive Jaam-e-Noor as a monthly magazine in his memoriam.

Q: Would you like to elaborate your views on the way journalism is
practiced in the madrasa journals?

A: In madrasas, journalism per se has never been taken seriously. The
motive behind these journals has either been to raise funds or to keep
the community informed of the activities of the institution. The
editors send to the press whatever articles they get without going
through them. Lessons from the Qur'an, Lessons from the Hadees, the
Chapter of Fatwas, etc are 4-5 archaic columns which you find almost
every madrasa magazine. Their editors simply do not think on issues,
like what are the present socio-economic realities of the Indian
Muslims, what they need, what ails them and what they can offer to the
community through these magazines. The reason is that they are not the
professional ones. Whoever has a certain amount of mastery on the
language of Urdu, is considered to be eligible for the post of editor.
Thus, every editor of a madrasa journal simultaneously happens to be
either a teacher, or an imam, or a principal, etc. So it is not
difficult to imagine the standard of the journalism they practice.
They just keep on reproducing stuffs relating to namaz, fasting,
miracles and prophecies. One can find them in the religious books
available in the market. What new things you are offering through your
journal to the readers? Besides all these, the editors lament of their
low circulation. Obviously, if you are not a professional editor, the
reading material you are providing are not upto the expectations of
the readers, why should they buy your magazine?

Q: What are you aiming at through the publication of this magazine?

A: With the help of this magazine, first, I wanted to show how
journalism is practiced and why it should be attuned to the
contemporary time. Second, the ulama have been exercising a sort of
control on the society. There is an unstated rule that none could
utter or write a single word against the mistakes they make. They use
these magazines as a tool to perpetuate their sway over the masses. I
want to break this hegemony of the ulama. In editorials, I write
against them without paying any heed to their status or age. Many
people said, "It was very courageous on your part that you have
written publicly on the issues people were afraid of mentioning them
in their private chambers. We wonder how they have spared you from the
fatwa yet". As a number of people have now started writing on these,
once considered to be untouchable, issues, I've, I think, achieved my
goal.

Q: How people reacted to it?