[Reader-list] [Announcements] Autoportraits: photography at The Nigah QueerFest '07

deepti deelited at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 14:50:18 IST 2007

*** Please Forward Widely***

Dear All,

Photography's power of visual documentation has been used since its
invention to create an iconography of the "other".  As part of that project,
queer sexualities have been defined, labelled and, eventually, criminalised.
However, a parallel hidden history has recorded our lives, becoming public
only when society and the law allows. Photography shows us what we look
like. The media and entertainment industries have tended to portray us as
hysterical victims or monstrous child molesters. However, we have become
quite expert at presenting ourselves on our own terms, even under the
pressure of living double lives. In this exhibition we are calling for
photographic self-portraits by a wide variety of queer women and men as a
way of reaffirming our actual presence in the world. Our photographs
are a *momento
mori*, asserting our right and desire to be made visible on our own terms.

* *We invite you to be part of Autopotraits. Part of The Nigah
QueerFest '07<http://www.nigahmedia.com/queerfest.html>,
this is, above all, an exhibition for and by queer communities. We
understand the different circumstances that may cause many to hesitate
before sending identifying self-portraits to the exhibit. We encourage all
of you, however, to consider submitting any kind of portrait that you are
comfortable with and which you feel is an expression of your sexuality.
Anonymous entries are accepted, and the confidentiality of all entrants and
submissions will be respected.  No identifying information shall be shared
with any individual or entity outside Nigah.

* *To download the Call for Entries and see Submission Guidelines, go to
www.nigahmedia.com/queerfest.html

Nigah
www.nigahmedia.com