[Reader-list] [Commons-Law] A Supreme Court Judge on caste in judiciary

Rohit De rohit_de at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 03:19:58 IST 2007

Thanks Anuj for starting off this much needed discussion. There is a need to
interrogate the notion of"pure merit" that seems to exist in public
discourse. Interestingly Justice Pandian also points out the lack of women
judges. There are none of the present Supreme Court. While he doesn't look
at religious minorites, the presence of Muslim judges is also negligible, so
its not surprising that we have decisons like Aruna Roy and the Aligarh
Muslim University.

This is interesting because the figures for the subordinate judiciary seem
to be a little more equitable. I found some figures in the Sachar Committee
report (p.173)  which state that Muslim representation in the judiciary is
7.8%, OBC's constitute about 23% and SC/ST's about 20%. The Hindu General
(their terms) is over represented in the judiciary with almost twice their
share in the population and constitutes almost half of all those in the
judiciary. Don't subordinate judiciaries implement reservations for women as
well? So obviously there is no necessary contradiction between being a judge
and affirmative action of some kind.

It would be useful if someone had access to figures which could indicate how
many judges are drawn from the bar and how many are drawn from the
subordinate judiciary, and which ones make it to the Supreme Court. It would
also be instructive to look what the background of lawyer turned judges are.

Looking forward to responses.
Cheers

Rohit