[Reader-list] FW: Students expelled for making film on homosexuality -sign theprotest letter

Shilpa Phadke abshi at vsnl.com
Fri May 11 21:34:24 IST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: vikalp at yahoogroups.com [mailto:vikalp at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Tarunabh Khaitan
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 1:55 PM
To: vikalp at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [vikalp] Students expelled for making film on homosexuality
-signthe protest letter

This is a petition to the college authorities who expelled 5 students
for making a film on homosexuality. please email Mayur Suresh,
Alternative Law Forum, Bangalore <***mayur at altlawforum.org
<mailto:mayur at altlawforum.org>*> with your name and designation if you
want to sign it. Please feel free to circulate.

** Please go through the following petition. If you do wish to sign on,
please send an email, with your name and designation, if any, to
mayur at altlawforum.org <mailto:mayur at altlawforum.org>.*

To,

The Principal

St. Josephs College of Communication,

Changanassery

Dear Ma'am/Sir,

Re: Students expelled for making film on homosexuality.

We are deeply disturbed at the expulsion of five students from your
institution on the ground that they made a film that explores homosexual
themes. The film titled 'Secret Minds', as you are aware, is a short
film on homosexuality made as an entry for the competition section of an
inter-college short film festival in Thiruvananthapuram.

According to newspaper reports the management of your institution felt
that the film, by portraying homosexuality had transgressed the limits
of decency and moral values that your institution stood for. We, the
undersigned, find these reasons completely unacceptable, and would like
to express our shock and outrage at your action.

Homosexuality in India is a topic that is taboo and is largely left out
of public discourse. However, as you may be aware, there is a growing
movement for the rights of sexual minorities in this country, which
argues that all persons irrespective of their sexual orientation and
gender identity have the right to live with dignity. In fact, the
constitutional validity of the law criminalizes homosexuality in India
is currently under challenge before the Delhi High Court. The acts of
your institution have effectively censored a film on homosexuality, thus
repudiating a certain way of life and denying homosexuals and other
sexual minorities validation of their lifestyles through public
portrayal and constituting an official condemnation of homosexuality.

Historically, it is the incursions of the State into free speech that
has been guarded against by academic institutions, film-makers, and
artists. Instead, your institution by its actions has sought to act as
the State and arbitrarily impose its own moral values in censoring this
film.

Merely because your institution is of the opinion that homosexuality is
immoral it does not entitle your to censor the portrayal of
homosexuality thus curtailing any debate or discussion around the issue.
Furthermore, the invocation of the arbitrary standard of 'obscenity' or
'indecency' cannot be a legitimate reason for such an action, as this
only becomes another reason to stifle debate and censor expression. It
is the responsibility of an institution like yours to create a space
that allows for the articulation of opinions that it may not agree with.
It is only by pushing the limits of what is sayable and unsayable that
such a space can be created. We believe that the actions of your
institution in expelling these students for exercising their freedom of
expression is completely unjustified and undermines the creation of such
a space.

As an academic institution, and particularly as a media and
communications school, we believe that it is essential that your
institution encourage diverse points of view and modes of expression.
Academic growth and excellence can only be achieved in a space that is
open to different ideas, where there is a culture of creativity and
where people are not afraid to openly express themselves, and it is your
institution's duty to ensure that such an atmosphere is cultivated.
However, your institution's acts in expelling these students can only
destroy the possibility of creating such an atmosphere and harms the
reputation of your institution as a centre of academic excellence.

As an institution that is training future film makers and media artists,
your action in expelling these students undermines the role of film
makers and artists who have always acted as guardians of the limits of
free speech.

Furthermore, what is extremely shocking is the disproportionate and
arbitrary punishment given to the students. It is disturbing that your
institution's response to the portrayal of homosexuality has been so
vicious and brutal.

We condemn your decision, demand that you reconsider your actions and
reinstate the expelled students.

** If you do wish to sign on, please send an email, with your name and
designation, if any, to mayur at altlawforum.org
<mailto:mayur at altlawforum.org>.*

* *

*Annexure*

* *

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/apr282007/national222552007427.asp

Deccan Herald, 28 April, 2007

** Students expelled for making film on homosexuality **

>From R Gopakumar DH News Service Thiruvananthapuram:

A Catholic Church-run mass communications college in Kottayam has
stirred a hornet's nest by expelling five students for making a film on
homosexuality.

The students are all fourth semester BA (multimedia) students of the St
Joseph's College of Communications at Changanassery.

The incident brings alive the raging worldwide debate on homosexuality
to the church circles in Kerala.

Neither the expelled students nor the authorities were readily willing
to comment. Prathyush, one of the expelled students, told Deccan Herald
that four of them had acted in the five-minute short film titled Secret
Minds.

The film depicting homosexuality was directed by an MA (film and TV)
student Jeo Baby. He claimed that it was mainly intended for an
inter-collegiate film festival here.

The college management, however, felt that the film had transgressed the
limits of decency and moral values that the college stood for and would
have misled youths. The college authorities further said that the
students misused the campus and college hostel premises for making the
film and had also acted entirely nude in it. The management made clear
its stand in the showcause notice issued to the students. The students
were first served a showcause notice on March 23 and 27 and later
expelled on April 2 on finding that their replies were unsatisfactory.

However, Prathyush who was the only student willing to speak denied
these allegations and said that they had exercised only their freedom of
expression. The film was also well within the confines of the course to
which they were admitted. Also, they had acted only partially nude as
required by the script.

"In any case, the film was not for public viewing but for a specific
festival audience. They are just creating unnecessary fuss," he said.

The students registered a complaint against the college with the Mahatma
Gandhi University's grievance cell and also forwarded the notice which
contained the charges against them.

When contacted, college director Fr Sebastian refused to comment saying
the issue was not over and was "undergoing certain processes".

However, experts see the incident as an offshoot of the lack of
theological guidance in the Church on the issue of homosexuality.

* *

Anand wrote:

> dear all
> it is worth sending a joint letter to the priests who expelled these
> students. please respond. best, anand
>
> also, for those interested, we have just won a very important victory
> for freedom of expression in the high court against the maharashtra
> governments ban on a book on shivaji written by james laine. actual
> judgment is awaited. the shiv sena and other right wing parties
> (including the NCP and sections of the congress are pouring out their
> hate against us and the book in papers like saamna. govt has vowed to
> challenge us in supreme court. lets see what happens.
>
> best, anand

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional