[Reader-list] More from Baroda: from Indrapramit Roy

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sat May 12 11:40:49 IST 2007

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=235916
Indian Express
May 12, 2007

BLACK FRIDAY: CHANDRAMOHAN'S CLASSMATES PUT UP EXHIBITION OF INDIAN
EROTICA TO PROTEST HIS ARREST; CHANCELLOR SAYS CAN'T INTERVENE
WITHOUT KNOWING FACTS
MSU V-C seals Fine Arts dept
Express News Service

Vadodara, May 11: Taking moral policing to a new level,
Vice-Chancellor of the prestigious Maharaja Sayajirao University
(MSU), Manoj Soni, today ordered the fine arts department to be
sealed after defiant students put up an exhibition of Indian erotica
to protest the arrest of one of their fellow classmates on Wednesday.
The fine arts department, known the world over as a cradle for art
expression, has never seen interference from any quarters. This is
the first time in its 55 years of existence that it finds the BJP and
VHP moral police brigade telling it what to do.

Vice-Chancellor Manoj Soni, living up to his reputation as an RSS
stooge, took the decision to seal the department after BJP municipal
councillors complained about the erotica exhibition. On Wednesday,
the BJP and VHP activists roughed up Chandramohan, a fine arts
student, as they found his exam works put on display, objectionable.
Chandramohan was later arrested by police.

Marking a "black friday" in M S University's history, the V-C sealed
the Fine Arts department's Regional Documentation Centre, and joined
the saffron brigade in removing the exhibition comprising sculptures
and photos.

After gagging the faculty, Soni himself ducked all criticism and
questions raised about his action by remaining confined to his cabin
and not taking any calls.

MSU's Chancellor Mrinalinini Devi Puar, grand daughter of Sir Sayaji
Rao Gaekwad who founded the university, said she was out of town and
could not intervene without knowing the facts.

On Friday, instead of students, teachers and MSU senate members, it
was BJP councillors and senate members (owing to their saffron
affiliations) were the ones who called the shots both at MSU main
office and Fine Arts department. Meanwhile, Chandramohan continued to
be in judicial custody for the third consecutive day, with no one
officially coming to his aid from MSU. Additional Senior Civil Judge
M J Parashar on Friday deferred the decision on his bail till Monday
in a hearing held in Vadodara local court, where Chandramohan is
facing serious offences registered by BJP leader Niraj Jain.

Fresh trouble began on Friday when Fine Arts students were putting up
an art exhibition on Indian art erotica around 4.30 pm.

"We are seeing people affiliated to certain political ideology,
entering the campus and imposing their narrow viewpoint without
knowing that the erotica/shringara/copulation as a part of the
nava-rasas exist in traditional practices," said the Fine Arts
student exhibition note. Sculptures, copies of erotica art in the
department, photographs of erotica art from Khajuraho and from Geet
Govinda were put up by the students.

The news of the art exhibition had BJP councillors like Girish
Parekh, Kishen Sheth, Ashok Pandya, Balu Shukla, Kishen Sheth and
others trooping down into the University, but before that they had a
meeting with the MSU V-C. While abuses were being hurled at the
students and female lecturers by BJP councilors, MSU authorities
ordered the removal of exhibition, which Shivaji Panikkar, incharge
fine arts dean refused, asking for orders in writing.

"We have received representations from several organisations and also
society, which has requested us to intervene. It's a matter of
prestige for MSU and Vadodara," said MSU pro V-C S M Joshi, who with
university engineer N N Ojha, syndicate members Mukesh Pandya, S K
Agrawal, technology faculty dean Bhuvan Parekh personally removed
exhibits and sealed the department.

In a late night development Panikkar was suspended from all the
positions with immediate effect for three months. The suspension will
be in effect till an inquiry committee, which is yet to be formed
does not complete its inquiry, said the notice which was pasted at
his residence around 10 pm on Friday. He has been also directed not
to enter the campus.