[Reader-list] Baroda, Immanel Kant and the Indian Penal Code

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat May 12 18:54:45 IST 2007

(apologies for cross posting on the Reader List, Commons law and
www.kafila.org)

Dear All,

This is in continuation of my earlier posting about the incident at the
MS University at Vadodara and the relevant sections of the Indian Penal
Code.

It is one of the wonderful properties of South Asian subcontinental life
that reality is always better adorned than fiction would have it.

And so it is that along with Mr. Niraj Jain, (a purported Bajrang Dal
leader who also contested the Vadodara civic body elections on a BJP
ticket), the other guardian of public morality who protested against the
art student Chandra Mohan's work in a departmental exhibition at the
Fine Arts Faculty at MS University Baroda happens to be a pastor with
the Methodist Church, most appropriately named the Rev. Emmaneul Kant.

See, a report on the Vadodara incident in the Vadodara City page of
Indian Express 'BJP Men rough up fine arts student'(Express News
Service, May 9) at
http://cities.expressindia.com/archivefullstory.php?newsid=235608&creation_date=2007-05-10

Apart from the fact that this incident shows a beautiful secular synergy
between majoritarian and minoritarian interests (thereby confusing all
those who spend most of their time worrying about majoritarian
communalism, especially when it comes to the province of Gujarat), there
has to be adequate recognition, I think of the magical facticity in
knowing that a protest against a work of art is being led (at least in
part) by an Emmanuel Kant.

For all those familiar with the Vadodara pastor's distinguished
Konigsbergian philosopher namesake,  Emmanuel (or Immanuel) Kant's
'Critique of Judgement' (a book that continues to be influential enough
in discussions of contemporary aesthetic practice and thought to be seen
hovering around the curatorial mandate of Documenta 12 and other serious
matters like a spirit that got stuck in limbo after a mistimed seance),
the delicate ironies of this haunting of the Vadodara controversy by the
ghost of Kant cannot be escaped.

In his Critique of Judgement,(and I quote, for the sake of convenience,
from the excellent, online entry in the Internet Encyclopaedia of
Philosophy)  http://www.iep.utm.edu/k/kantaest.htm

Kant can be found paraphrased as saying :

"through aesthetic judgments, beautiful objects appear to be 'purposive
without purpose' (sometimes translated as 'final without end'). An
object's purpose is the concept according to which it was made (the
concept of a vegetable soup in the mind of the cook, for example); an
object is purposive if it appears to have such a purpose; if, in other
words, it appears to have been made or designed. But it is part of the
experience of beautiful objects, Kant argues, that they should affect us
as if they had a purpose, although no particular purpose can be found."

Now a Kantian, confronted with Chandramohan's work, Jain & Kant led
protests, and the sections 153 and 295 of the Indian Penal Code, would
not be in any position to wriggle out of the problem of 'aesthetic
intention'. If Chandramohan is an artist, his work would affect us as if
they had a purpose, even if no particular purpose were to be found.

The only legal solution available under the Indian legal system, in my
opinion, is for Chandramohan to say that he is not an artist, but a mere
impostor, and that his work, is not purposive, or intentional, but the
mere outpouring of a distracted, and demented mind. What I am
suggesting, is the insanity defence, as used in a murder trial.

In other words  the - 'My Lord, my client was not of sound mind, he did
not know what he was doing, when he shot the plaintiff's aged mother'
maneouvre.

If Chandramohan is an artist, then the courts will look at intention.
And as in a murder trial, the calibration of intention can lead to a
degree of dimunition of a sentence from homicide to manslaughter, but
cannot do away with the fact of the offence.

I say this neither to attack Chandramohan's work, nor to defend his
practice (although I have no doubt in my mind that the freedome of
expression is a higher good than artistic quality or religious
sensibility). I say this only to underscore the problems of aesthetic
intention, ethical conduct and legal judgement that this case seems to
have thrown open, perhaps at the instance of the long neglected spectre
of the venerable I(E)mmanel Kant