[Reader-list] Protest Demonstration against Fascist Vandalism in Baroda

shaina a kalakamra at gmail.com
Mon May 14 15:33:03 IST 2007

At 3:pm today, police have arrested and carted away two bus loads of
students and artists mostly students from MSU and some artists/activists
from Bombay.

Several present have been verbally threatened and pushed around.

There is a 100 strong crowd of right wing supporters who have not been
arrested.

Kindly alert press ASAP and inform all at nationwide demonstrations today.
will keep updated.

Baroda Peaceful Demonstration began at 2 pm. ChandraMohan was freed at noon
today.

On 5/12/07, lalit batra <lalitbatra77 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Dear friends,   The fascist goons of BJP-VHP have let loose a reign of
> terror in the prestigious Faculty of Fine Arts, MS University Baroda. Please
> go through the details of the incident given below. The latest development
> is that the Dean of Fine Arts Faculty, Shivji Pannicker, has been suspended
> and the Department of Art History has been sealed. The campus has virtually
> been taken over by VHP goons who are threatning students and vandalising
> their work. We call upon all the democtratic and progressive people of Delhi
> to come forward and protest against the fascist attempt to stifle voices of
> creativity and dissent.  *Please join us for a protest demonstration
> tomorrow, 12th of May, at 3 p.m. at Gujarat Bhawan, Chanakya Puri, Near
> Ashoka Hotel* .   In Solidarity,   Lalit Batra                 9899091413
>           Dear All,
>
> You are all aware of the latest Sangh Parivar
> offensive against the
> democratic rights of the students and Faculty members
> of the well known Fine
> Arts Faculty of Baroda, M.S.University.  The Fine Arts
> Faculty is one of the
> best institutions within the M.S.University, which has
> managed to retain
> high academic standards, in the face of the general
> academic deterioration
> within the University.
>
> The recent incident of hooliganism and blatant
> bullying unleashed by the
> Sangh Parivar has sent shock waves all over the
> country.  It took place on
> Wednesday, 9th May 2007, at around 3 p.m. As part of
> the examination
> procedure underway in the Faculty, students are
> supposed to put up their
> works which are to be assessed by external examiners
> who come in from
> outside the city for this purpose.  Accordingly,
> students had put up their
> installations around the Faculty campus.  Some of
> these installations,
> (graphic prints) by Chandra Mohan attracted the wrath
> of the BJP leader
> Neeraj Jain, who barged into the campus with a bunch
> of goons and started
> disrupting the atmosphere, using abusive language and
> mouthing threats.
> They roughed up the Chandra Mohan and accused him of
> offending their
> religious sentiments, saying that he had portrayed
> Durga Mata in an obscene
> way.  Not by any stretch of imagination did the prints
> actually portray any
> goddess.  Under the leadership of Neeraj Jain (who had
> incidentally played a
> very dubious role in the May 2006 riots that followed
> the demolition of a
> 200 year old dargah in the heart of the city), and
> with the police in tow,
> they took Chandra Mohan and a friend of his away to
> the Sayajiganj police
> station.  Shivji Panickkar, the acting Dean of the
> Fine Arts Faculty, was
> [...]

shaina
chitrakarkhana.net