[Reader-list] IFA condemns attack on artistic freedom

shai at filterindia.com shai at filterindia.com
Wed May 16 17:47:58 IST 2007

India Foundation for the Arts pledges support for Chandramohan, Dr. Shivaji Panikkar and the cause
of artistic freedom

India Foundation for the Arts wishes to place on record its shock and concern over the manhandling
on May 9 of MS University Baroda, Fine Arts Department student, Chandramohan by persons labelling
his art work obscene and offensive to religious sentiments. We are also deeply distressed about the
blatantly unfair suspension of Dean Dr. Shivaji Panikkar. Dr Panikkar is one of the leading art
historians of this country who has often and generously shared his expertise with us.

This is a shameful moment in the history of our democracy. IFA calls upon everyone in the arts
community and outside it to lend their voices in support of artistic freedom, civilised protest,
open debate and tolerance for diversity. Let us do all we can to ensure that Baroda never happens
again.

The IFA Team
Bangalore
http://ifaforarts.wordpress.com/