[Reader-list] Dragonball in India?

christiane brosius cbrosius at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 13:00:44 IST 2007

Dear Sarai list-members
Is there anyone among you who would be able to help me out about a
particular storyline that has circulated widely, especially in and between
China and Japan, but also the western hemisphere: I am referring to
“Dragonball”, also known under “The Journey to the West”, the story of a
monkey/man going on an adventurous pilgrimage to look for Buddhist
scriptures in India. The Chinese novel has, for instance, been adapted in
manga format in Japan.
I wonder whether this tale has been received and traded in India too, and
whether you know of comics or any other (audio-)visual media that have dealt
with the theme?
Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks for our attention and help,
Christiane

Christiane Brosius
Assistant Professor,
Department of Anthropology