[Reader-list] Photographs From Bombay's Cinema Halls

Zubin Pastakia zubinpastakia at gmail.com
Fri May 18 17:42:53 IST 2007

Hello,

This is my third post to the Reader-List related to my fellowship
project "A Photographic Study of Bombay's Cinema Halls as a Cultural
Experience of Space."

I have finally begun photographing the modern multiplex movie
theatres. These spaces have a completely different visual aesthetic,
and I have often felt that the visual syntax I've used to photograph
the old halls often does not work.

>From the surface materials of the building and the auditorium, to the
lighting and the overall layout, the materials and arrangements
signify a change in the way business is conducted and in the overall
film-going experience.

We are looking at a different cultural space here. In comparison to
the older and the so-called "lower grade" halls, they suggest a
different pace of life, a different relationship to money, and a
different conception of leisure.

Please take a moment to visit and bookmark the site:

http://peripheralvision.blogspot.com

I would appreciate it if people on this list would respond to the
photographs by posting their thoughts, queries, and suggestions on the
project so far. For everyone who has responded so far, thanks much.

Best,

Zubin