[Reader-list] Baroda case and... ( response to Prof. Shivji's letter) .

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sun May 20 16:29:46 IST 2007

Dear  Prof. shivji

You stand in 'the case' is commendable. In general, I believe, artists
are with chandra mohan and those affected in the unfortunate incident.
The real damage is the  psychological victory over the creative minds
.... which we can not measure right now.  It is already damaged, but
instead of some restoration it is slipping out of our hands. That is
most worrying part.  When we realize that the singular-i-tease, of the
society/artists is at stake then we certainly need to come forward for
a new solidarity. That has happened in this case, but I believe the
ways of protest are still a little conventional. I am myself wondering
about the possible innovative ways of protest, so that becomes more
audible.  The politics out there want to deal with the 'tease' part of
 singular-i-tease on their own terms, which is the challenge. Artists,
i believe have to be mentally strong enough to fight out their
respective 'choices' through their works, performances and other ways
of expressions.

Zasha has intelligently pointed out the illusory role of 'market' that
seems to enhance freedom of expression. The fact is that only the
radical face of the art is well equipped to  lead in this march
towards freedom of expression to secure 'present and future' of art
and society, as Shuddha has also pointed out.   There are number of
examples in the past and the recent past that how artists/poets/film
makers, musicians and even saints have taken a stand against the
establishment to grant this 'freedom' to themselves in the first place
and then to the society in general. I am profoundly inspired by that
kind of past, and because of that I feel myself a part of this
'protest'.

The second layer: now it is almost predictable that what kind of art
can offend the right wing politics. But Dera Saccha Sauda controversy
was unpredictable, and that makes one think, time and again, about
what is 'politics of the image'.  As far as I am informed, Dera has a
Dalit base who have been outsiders within the Gurudwara poltics of
Punjab. Then it is not surprising that the genesis of Dera is rooted
in Bulochistan ( Pakistan ) and is deeply associated with Radha Somi
SatSang sect. The name Ram Raheem Singh, in-itself signifies that it
has some sufi background,  and the believers have a right to exercise
their political will in the present vote bank game.  Ram Raheem Singh
is cool and has gained spiritually and politically even when he says
that he regrets that it has offended other Sikh sects.

 Unwittingly, but it seems I am mixing the two different poles of
reality:  both Ram Raheem singh and Chandra Mohan are insecure simply
because they exercised their choices of representation. There are many
questions which remain unanswered and some veritable reflections can
be added to all this….

with love and regards
indersalim

protest image, pasted on my back and around during protest organized
by Sahmat in Delhi
http://indersalim.livejournal.com

Dear Friends, thank you all so very much for your support. The past 10
days had been harrowing. I just returned home after the vanavas and
trying to gather the threads. Thank you for being with us in this
difficult time. Chandramohan is safe and is with his parents in
Warangal, although his case is in the court. As for me & him and many
others the present is bleak, I hope the future will be bright for all
of us.
Best wishes - Shivaji