[Reader-list] 3rd posting

bangali_ mnb bangali_mnb at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 21:02:51 IST 2007

  As I had mentioned in my abstract, the main Types of the Kolkata Rickshaw-pictures are can be divided in some very prominent genres. Though the Motifs can vary. These Types are--
          (1) Film stars
          (2) Religious
          (3) Birohini or the detached wife
          (4) Eagle or Rock bird with the world in its paw
          (5) Landscapes( both urban and rural )
          (6) Anything related with motion
          (7) Anything which is both new and striking
          (8) Pictures of near and dear ones
          (9) Tajmahal
          (10) National Flag or something which can evoke Nationalism
          (11) Miscellaneous

  Most of the Rickshaws are full of cine-posters and postcard pictures of different cine-stars. Which star has the most credibility among these  people can be an interesting field of survey- I thought, and the result is excellent. I saw that these people love bare chested machismo and instant justice. If they could see Van-Damn or Steven Seagull they would worship them. I can bet on it. Thus it is seen that good old Dharampa or Bengal's very own Mithunda is favourite till date. These people, living on the verge of the society, try to fulfil their wishes through these paintings. After the hard day's work what these poor fellows want is pure entertainment. That's why not only Shahrukh Khan-starring films but also the films like "Jaani Dushman" or "Loha" is among the favourites in these people.
  Big B, King Khan, Sanjubaba OR sALLUBHAI are the part of these poor peoples family members, they love them, imitate them and dream to be like them. Aamir khan or Kamal Hasan cant be seen- I thought, but there are rickshaws where Aamir Khan in "Bazii" and Kamal Hasan in "Hindusthani" are can be traced. KIng Khan is surely very hit among these fellows, be it bespectacled "Bazigar" or violin-teacher in "Mohabbatein" or the new age "Don", Sharukh Khan can be seen in his every avatar. Same with Mr. Amitabh Bacchan. from "Kalia" and "Kalicharan" to "Kajra re"- he is everywhere. The metro-sexual look of Salman Khan with middle-parted hair in "Tere Naam" is a runway hit among the kolkata rikshaw-pullers, literally.
  How can the Bollywood bombshells can be far away from the gang of guys?
  So there are Aishwarya Rai and Rani Mukherji and Priyanka Chopras are allover on the rickshaws with skimpy clothes and with dimples on their cheeks.
   The presence of Tollywood is also very much visible on the rickshaw-pics.
  Prosenjit and Rituparna Sengupta of "Main, Meri Patni aur Woh"fame are most popular, whereas pictures of newcomers like Jeet, Koel Mullick and Swastika are can be traced on the back of the rickshaws.
  As these people are a large chunk of the decider of Box-office fate of a film, the Producers and directors should look after this type of survey.
  As a result of the dubbing, Hollywood is also make it presence felt. That's why the pictures of Jack and Rose of "Titanic" or the number 007 with the picture of Pierce Brosnan in "Tomorrow Never Dies" as the super-sleuth are as much popular as Bollywood or Tollywood cine-stars. Though naturally they does not appreciate Johnny Depp or Tom Hanks yet. Still these ricshaws of Kolkata are certainly going global, isn't it?