[Reader-list] Independent Fellowship Posting: Film Exhibition Spaces in Delhi - Ramesh Kumar

Ramesh Kumar kumaramesh at gmail.com
Mon May 28 14:47:00 IST 2007

Hi all

My sincere apologies for the delayed posting. Having recovered from
prolonged illness and finally having freed myself of other commitments, I
begin my research work now. As a quick reminder, my study attempts to do a
comparative analysis of three different cinema halls belonging to the A, B
and C segments each in the city of Delhi. As I have just begun, there is not
much to report. This post is an attempt to share some preliminary thoughts
about my work.
The first step for my project was to identify the three cinema halls where
the research is to be conducted and get the necessary permissions to be able
to spend time on the premises, get interviews from the employees and take
photographs. Ideally, I wanted all three halls to be in the same vicinity as
this would have obvious practical advantages. It would literally give me a
common ground for my work while making the differences between the three
halls more starkly visible. It would also serve as a good opportunity to
investigate the importance of siting on the identity of each hall while
allowing me to understand the complexities of the notion of "neighborhood
cinema hall".
For my purposes, cinema halls located in and around residential areas would
be best suited. For the A and B segment halls, I plan to look at PVR Priya
(Vasant Vihar) and Sangam (R K Puram) respectively which are located barely
two kilometers away from each other. I've been in touch with the concerned
authorities and would be meeting them within the next few days to see if
they are comfortable with the idea. As expected, seeking permissions has not
been an easy task and I have been referred to a number of people without any
one of them saying s/he has the final authority. I hope to have a clearer
picture after my initial meetings with them, and if the permissions are
denied, I would then have to look for alternate sites and start all over
again.
For the C segment hall, I am still short-listing possible places to look at.
The rapid shutting down of many such sites in the recent past seems to have
made it virtually impossible to find all three halls operating close to each
other. Most C segment halls seem to be located in Old Delhi and North East
Delhi, and I wish to find a hall in Shahdara, Seemapuri and other
neighboring areas. Any suggestions in this regard are most welcome.

Cheers

--
Ramesh Kumar
Tel: 011 26193229