[Reader-list] CounterCurrents pdate: On US Imperialism

Yogi Sikand ysikand at gmail.com
Wed May 30 22:31:37 IST 2007

Hello

Kindly forward this newsletter to your friends and
encourage them to
join this mailing list.
http://www.countercurrents.org/subscribe.htm

In Solidarity
Binu

The Exit of Cindy Sheehan
By Ron Jacobs

http://www.countercurrents.org/jacobs300507.htm

It can be reasonably argued that it was Cindy Sheehan
that made it okay
for Middle America to protest, and for that she must
be thanked. Now
that she is taking a breather from the madness it is
up to us to continue
expanding those protests. It is certainly not time to
give up

Good Riddance Attention Whore
By Cindy Sheehan

http://www.countercurrents.org/sheehan300507.htm

This is my resignation letter as the "face" of the
American
anti-war movement. This is not my "Checkers" moment,
because I will never
give up trying to help people in the world who are
harmed by the empire
of the good old US of A, but I am finished working in,
or outside of
this system. This system forcefully resists being
helped and eats up the
people who try to help it. I am getting out before it
totally consumes
me or anymore people that I love and the rest of my
resources

Why I Am Ashamed To Be An American
By Doug Soderstrom

http://www.countercurrents.org/soderstrom300507.htm

If we truly care about our country, if we really do
want our nation to
flourish, then we should realize that we have not only
the right, but,
much more importantly, the responsibility, perhaps
even, one might say,
a moral responsibility to point out its deficiencies
in order that it
might once again be revived

Ideas Cannot Be Killed
By Fidel Castro

http://www.countercurrents.org/castro300507.htm

When he was recently asked by an important personality
about his Cuba
policy, his answer was this: "I am a hard-line
President and I am just
waiting for Castro's demise." The wishes of such a
powerful
gentleman are no privilege. I am not the first nor
will I be the last that
Bush has ordered to be killed; nor one of those people
who he intends to
go on killing individually or en masse. But it would
serve him well to
remember that ideas cannot be killed

Bush Decrees New Sanctions Against Sudan
By Bill Van Auken

http://www.countercurrents.org/auken300507.htm

President Bush Tuesday announced that his
administration is imposing a
fresh set of economic sanctions on Sudan, claiming the
measures are
designed to pressure the government in Khartoum to
halt the bloodshed in
the country's western-most province of Darfur

About Saving Darfur: Reflections On The Carrot And The
Stick
By Stephen Eric Bronner

http://www.countercurrents.org/bronner300507.htm

As pundits speak about the growth of "compassion
fatigue" concerning
Darfur, usually without mentioning the devastating
lack of positive
proposals offered by the political mainstream, now is
the time -- echoing an
old slogan -- to give up the cant and return to Kant

Will The Lebanese Army Enter
The Nahr el-Bared Camp?
By Alexander Jenniches

http://www.countercurrents.org/jenniches300507.htm

What exactly will be the - at least temporary -
solution is uncertain
at this point. But there is good reason to assume that
the Lebanese
government will at the end not confront Fatah al-Islam
directly. Not yet,
and not under the circumstances that the group is
hiding among
Palestinian civilians

Global Warming: Who's To Blame?
By Nicole Colson

http://www.countercurrents.org/colson300507.htm

In any rational society, the threat of global warming
would have gotten
attention a long time ago, with every possible
resource devoted to
measures to slow climate change and alleviate its
effects. But under
capitalism, greed and profits come first--even at the
risk of far-reaching
global devastation

Runaway Climate Change: An Obesity Analogy
By Bill Henderson

http://www.countercurrents.org/henderson300507.htm

Sea-level rise in 2100. An increasing risk of
hurricanes, weird weather
and heat waves. Risks to farming and forestry; drought
and famine
leading to failed states and refugees. Corroding
ecosystems; species
extinction; disease migration and bug infestations.
Predicted increasing but
adaptable - not terminal - risks as the temperature
rises

Christians: A Faith Under Assault In Secular India
By Vidya Bhushan Rawat

http://www.countercurrents.org/rawat300507.htm

A review of John Dayal's book "A matter of Equity:
Freedom of Faith in
Secular India"

Sukhia Sab Sansar Khaye Aur Soye
Dukhia Das Kabir Jagey Aur Roye

  The world is 'happy', eating and sleeping
The forlorn Kabir Das is awake and weeping