[Reader-list] Lahore blogger Kyla Pasha, As Pakistan Crushes Protests

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 15:17:10 IST 2007

>From Lahore blogger Kyla Pasha

http://www.sajaforum.org/2007/11/pakistan-police.html

"Then at around noon we went out towards the gates of the High Court to find
them locked from the outside and an army of riot police on the other side of
them. After a few minutes of banter across the gates, where the protesters
attempted to leave the High Court building to take to the streets,
apparently the police started hitting with sticks whoever moved forward. We
were very far back, right outside the buildings of the compound so when we
saw them run like hell from the gates, we had time enough to turn and run
like hell ourselves. My friend Sarah, a law student, grabbed my hand and we
stayed like that until they let us out some three and half hours later. My
friend Sadaf, a law professor, rallied all the LUMS folks around her - a
bunch of students had decided to come to the protest as well - and we stayed
together. They lobbed tear gas but we were prepared, thanks to the veteran
protesters among us. We had our wet towels over our mouths and noses as we
ran back into the courtyard, from room to room of the building, stopping
only to catch our breath in one of the closed rooms that hadn't been flooded
with tear gas."

Read the rest of her account here:
http://www.sajaforum.org/2007/11/pakistan-police.html