[Reader-list] WB CPI (M) Deputation meets Governor on Nandigramdevelopments

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 01:26:31 IST 2007

The memorandum places a great deal of emphasis on Maoist involvement.
Mention of this factor is also being heard frequently from
government/ruling quarters. There was a lengthy item recently in Ajkaal,
a Bengali daily supposedly close to Chief Minister Buddhadev
Bhattacharya, with a title that translates roughly as 'Not Cong[ress] or
Trinamool, it's Maoists that are entrenched in Nandigram'. The item
says, essentially, that Tinamool and other opposition party workers are
providing cover for Maoists in the area.

With this supposed involvement of Maoists, Nandigram becomes part of the
larger Maoist challenge which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has stated
as being the greatest before the Indian state at this time. Therefore, a
subtext in the memorandum is a call - to the Centre through the Governor
- to view Nandigram as part of the national "Maoist problem". This call
for a "law-and-order" approach can also be read as an admission of the
failure of the political process.

A few thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

Long before the Maoists became involved in Nandigram, which is in the
south-eastern part of West Bengal, in the coastal region, they had
established themselves in the western part. In fact, one of their
strongholds at that stage was the tribal-inhabited western part of
erstwhile Midnapore district. Nandigram was also in Midnapore. After the
district was split up into West M. and East M., the Naxalite (Maoist)
belt fell in West Midnapore along with Bankura and Purulia districts.
Nandigram fell in East Midnapore.

Thus, geographically, the Maoists were never far from Nandigram. The
West Bengal government and the CPI(M) probably should have foreseen that
if discontent festered, it would not be long before the Maoists found
their way into Nandigram.

But why and how have the Maoists come back to West Bengal - in the
western part long before Nandigram - over a quarter century after it
seemed that the state had put the bloody Naxalite phase, which lasted
from the late 1960s to mid-1970s, behind itself? If the weakness or
failure of the democratic process can be blamed for the rise of the
Maoist challenge in the tribal-dominated states of Chattisgarh and
Jharkhand, and the tribal areas of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and
Orissa, can something similar be said of West Bengal as well? A senior
leader of one of the CPI(M)'s "junior partners" in West Bengal's Left
Front government had told me that extremism was bound to rise if the
people's urge for democracy was curbed. He was a grassroots politician,
not an academic, and I suppose he had his ear to the ground.

If he had seen the writing on the wall, why hadn't the "senior partner"
in the coalition, namely the CPI(M)?

Was there a way to forestall Nandigram's turn towards extremism -
assuming that it has indeed taken that turn as the CPI(M) MPs and ruling
circles claim? There probably was, but that option was - and is still
being - passed by. The CPI(M) MPs' memorandum to the Governor makes it
clear that even almost eight months after the March 14 carnage, in which
14 people died, the "package announced" for victims - include
compensation for the victims, shifting of the remaining police officers,
punishment for the guilty, withdrawal of cases, and providing relief to
the distressed people - is still only being "iterated". In this regard,
those interested may read this article, which appeared in the Economic
and Political Weekly last month:

http://www.epw.org.in/uploads/articles/11127.pdf

It says, "The findings of a people’s tribunal in Nandigram point to the
fact that relief, rehabilitation and justice are yet to be provided to
the victims of the Nandigram police firing on March 14.

Tapas

TaraPrakash wrote:
 > In other words, the government has lost control and must be replaced.
 > It was an interesting thing to add in the memo that the alliance that
included ultra left destroyed red flags. The governor should be
infuriated by this revelation. So, the president's rule in West Bengal?
Marshal law?

 > ----- Original Message ----- From: "prakash ray" <pkray11 at gmail.com>
Nandigramdevelopments

 >> A delegation of four WB CPI (M) MPs and one MLA met the Hon.
Governor on the