[Reader-list] "non-Indian"

Aarti Sethi aarti.sethi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 21:21:12 IST 2007

Dear Dhatri,

Against my better judgment and good sense I am continuing to engage in
a conversation which can only yield bewilderment at best and extreme
frustration at worst. What can I say except that none of us can
finally fight the death drive which impels us to masochism. Why should
anyone be condemned for anything is what I am not able to understand.
No one is fielding any accusations, or allegations of any sort against
anyone. If you wish to identify yourself as Indian more power to you.
No one is questioning your right to do so. Do any of us constantly
assail you with mails to the contrary? No. Unfortunately one cannot
say the same of you.

I have done a quick tallying of the various people/positions that have
become your moving targets in the last three months that this list has
had the unfortunate distinction of you being a subscriber. From what I
can tell, basically only Indian, upper-caste Hindus are legit.
Everyone else should shut up. Amazing! How the worst kind of
parochialism can actually be paraded as a virtue.

Are you not able to find spaces in the real world where people listen
to what you say? Is that the problem? If so, I can understand this can
be very trying. Else I am not able to understand the vast reserves of
energy that you can summon to say the same thing over and over and
over again, in more and more incomprehensible ways.

I apologise to you and all other list members for this mail. I realise
there is nothing you can do about this. There is no cure for a poverty
of the spirit and imagination this deep. I will not be answering any
mails from you in future.

best
Aarti