[Reader-list] Nandigram: The challenges ahead

Partha Dasgupta parthaekka at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 12:55:37 IST 2007

Actually, it feels a bit strange. One wonders if the editors (or any other
editorial content manager) presumes that it's readers are blind / deaf and
don't read other publications.

In any case, other dailies have given clear reporting from both sides and
exposed the ugly underbelly of the government supported goondaism where
elderly parents are beaten up and offices looted. As was reported from the
CM's speech, revenge is a motif to show that might is stronger than right.
So what if innocent citizens are raped / mauled / killed - the banal
"greater good" while protecting the CPI(M)'s own turf as if winning the
election has raised them above the law of the land.

Sad, but unfortunately also the reality of what the CPI(M) has become today.

Rgds, Partha

On Nov 15, 2007 9:58 AM, Abhishek Hazra <abhishek.hazra at gmail.com> wrote:

> and coming from Hindu its not surprising at all - in the recent past,
> has anyone ever spotted a single article critical of the left front
> regime in Hindu or Frontline? it's always fulsome praise. When
> Buddhadev was first elected chief minister some years back, Frontline
> did a cover story on it. It was titled "Behind a Famous Victory" and
> it was almost naive in its complete lack of a critical voice.
> http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl1812/fl181200.htm
> This aspect of Hindu is anyway widely known.
>
> Some years back, when Hindu went through an editorial restructuring
> one of the columns that got axed was the wonderful Loose Canon by
> Rukun Advani (in the Sunday supplement).
>
> On Nov 15, 2007 8:25 AM, Tapas Ray <tapasrayx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I looked over the item and found nothing new or different from the
> > official CPI-M line as conveyed by Prakash Ray already. So I wonder what
> > the point of forwarding this link was.
> >
> > Tapas
> >

> > prakash ray wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > Please find time to read an editorial in the Hindu on Nandigram ..
> below is
> > > the link-
> > >
> > > http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/12/stories/2007111259681200.htm
> > >
> > > thanks