[Reader-list] Walking for Nandigram, November 14

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Nov 16 16:59:21 IST 2007

Dear Moinak,

Thank you for that wonderfully evocative account of the march for
Nandigram in Kolkata on the 14th of November, I was just about to send a
forward of this text, (which I had just been reading  on Kafila.org)
when I saw your mail make its way into my Reader List inbox. It made my day.

Readers will recognize Boddhisattva Kar, former Sarai independent fellow
in a cameo role in this posting. I hope that he (Bodhi), who must be too
busy getting arrested and released on a daily basis to be reading this
list regularly right now, will also write and send us his own
impressions of the gathering.

In a recent forwarded blog posting sent on to this list, our resident
right-wing agent-provocateur Pawan Durani had cynically endorsed the
following statement "Who is bothered about Nandigram? Only Bengalis. And
if they are communists they still do not bother."

As will be clear from this posting, at least, or should I say 'only' one
lakh Bengalis, of whom many would be communist or communist
sympathizers, and who, like Moinak (or me) would be from families that
have had long and close associations with the Communist Parties in
Bengal, spontaneously and peacefully took to the streets of Kolkata to
protest against the CPI(M)'s reign of terror in Nandigram. The
generation of our parents and grandparents who became Communists in
Bengal in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s, and who brought us up to
own up to the ideas of internationalism, equality, democracy and a
hatred of tyranny everywhere (including in states that would describe
themseves as 'Communist')  would have been motivated by the kind of
anger and sorrow that brought these one lakh people on to the streets of
Kolkata. The continuity of the spirit that made millions of people read
Marx, and take the possibility of a revolutionary project seriously in
resides, not in the CPI(M) any longer, but in those who came unbidden by
any party on to the streets of Kolkata for this gathering. Something has
changed in Bengal.

What is interesting in this is that we are beginning to see the
formation of a response that actually transcends the narrow and
unquestioned loyalties of 'traditional' political affilations in Bengal.
The automatic assumption that the left-leaning sections of the Bengali
intelligentsia will fall in line when the 'cadre' call the shots is no
longer working. The CPI(M) lost the working class when the CITU became
an organized mafia that protected Capitalist and State Capitalist
interests, it seems now to be beginning to lose the peasantry, and the
intelligentsia, in the wake of Nandigram.

All it has going for itself is the rump of global Capitalism, an
ideology that can be identified only with a xenophic state capitalist
streak of paranoia, with its Kerala, Bengal and South Delhi variations,
  the 'backing' of a murderous match fixer like Ashok Todi and the
higher echelons of the Police hierarchy, and a few samples of a rentier
cultural apparatchiki in Delhi. It's early days yet, and I could be
wrong, but could this be the first sign of the beginning of the end of
the stranglehold of the CPI(M) on the Bengali consciousness, and the
first glimmer of the end of the so called  Left Front's paralytic hold
on political power in West Bengal? I certainly hope so.

If you read right till the end of Moinak's post, you will see the
tentative evocation of what Moinak calls - the hope for a 'project'.
Nothing certain yet, no clear ideas, no ringing manifestos, but the
hesitant, tentative recognition that something new is possible. For many
days in the past few months, I have made posts on the reader list in
anger, in sorrow and in irritation. This afternoon, in the sober
after-light of Nandigram, reading about the whispers of the 'project'
that emerged because one lakh people marched spontaneously together, I
forward this post with unabashed joy. Thank you once again Moinak.

best, in solidarity with all those who marched in Kolkata, wishing I was
there

Shuddha

---------