[Reader-list] SANKALP YATRA - Pilgrimage with a difference

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 23:45:09 IST 2007

 *Article Courtsey : Panun Kashmir Movement*

*SANKALP YATRA*

*Pilgrimage with a difference*

* *

* *

*-Ashwani Kumar Chrungoo*

                    SANKALP YATRA is a political pilgrimage. Panun Kashmir
Movement (PKM) made a pubic declaration about the Yatra on 25th September
2007 in a rally at Rajinder Park, Jammu on Vitasta Divas. We have been
observing this day as             'Sankalp Divas' also. It was on this day
that we, for the first time, in 1991, organised a public rally on the banks
of Ranbir Canal at Rajinder Park, Jammu, in which we took an oath (publicly)
to continue the struggle for our reestablishment in Kashmir till 'HOMELAND'
was achieved. Accordingly, the pilgrimage has also been named as SANKALP
YATRA. It is aimed at the following:

                   >To rekindle the homeland thought process and struggle in
the community and give a fresh momentum to the political movement of the
Kashmiri Pandits.

                   >To bring to the fore, yet again, the issues about the
ethnic cleansing and exodus of the community at national level in a forceful
and practical manner by conducting a journey of about 7,000 km.

                   >To make mass awareness about the human rights violations
and issues pertaining to the genocidal action against the Pandits and the
other minorities of the Jammu and Kashmir State.

                   >To involve the youth in the political struggle of the
community by making them a part of the two-month long Yatra and train them
in a consistent and coordinated manner.

                    >To reclaim the right on the territory of Kashmir as the
indigenous people of Kashmir by initiating this political initiative
-SANKALP YATRA from SHEETALNATH-Srinagar, a historically important place for
the Kashmiri Pandit community.

                  It gives me pleasure and strength to say, as a part of the
delegation, which initiated this Yatra from Sheetalnath-Srinagar, that our
visit to Kashmir has generated a new discussion and debate about the issues
pertaining to our ethnic cleansing, exodus and resettlement in Kashmir. This
is a testimony to the fact that the Sankalp Yatra has achieved its initial
goals. For the next two months, it shall further intensify.

                  The commencement of the Yatra from Sheetalnath has a great
significance so far as our political struggle is concerned. Sheetalnath
continued to be the political battleground of Kashmiri Pandits till exodus.
It was at this place in 1947 that Gandhi ji, while addressing the Kashmiri
Pandits, said that he had seen a ray of light in Kashmir. This place
headquartered the office of the premier and the oldest
socio-political
organisation of the Kashmiri Pandits –Sanatan Dharma Yavak Sabha. This is
the place wherefrom the agitation of 1967 was launched and fought. It is
here that the biggest Youth organisation of the Kashmiri Pandits –Hindu
Youth (Yuvak) Forum established its office in 1982. This sacred land also
comprises the Samadhi of our martyrs of 1967. I take pride in the fact that
I am also a product of this great battleground so far as my public life is
concerned.

                    On a historical day, the 11th November 2007, when the
SANKALP YATRA commenced, the delegation that visited Sheetalnath kissed its
sacred ground three times, brought its sacred earth along with and paid its
*Shradanjali* to the Samadhi of the martyrs here by offering them floral
tributes. Passions ran high while seeing the appalling conditions of the
Sheetalnath temple. But that is the story of all such temples and shrines.
Everything that houses this sacred land was seen in a shambles including the
building of the Sanatan Dharma Yuvak Sabha. The only satisfaction was that
the ground of Sheetalnath was fenced and locked.

                    We also visited Zeethyar, Hanuman Temple-Amirakadal,
banks of Vitasta, UN office at Gupkar Road and Durganag temple. A press
conference was held at Hotel Welcome, Boulevard Road, Srinagar on
12thNovember 2007. We also took an oath (SANKALP) at Zeethyar to
continue the
struggle till we meet success.

                    The Yatra shall now, in its second phase, leave Jammu on
25th November 2007 and visit the birthplaces (Janamabhumi) and/or work
places (Karmabhumi) of four great political personalities of India. The
thinking and action on behalf of these historical characters have been
instrumental in founding the political edifice of India over the last one
hundred years. The personalities are: Mahatma Gandhi, Dr. B.R Ambedkar, Dr.
K.B.Hedgewar and Lokmanya Tilak. The Yatra shall in this connection visit
Sabarmati Ashram-Ahemdabad, Nagpur and Pune.

                    In order to seek blessings from the revered gods and the
gurus for the success of the political pilgrimage, the Yatra shall also have
a *darshan *of four important religious shrines i.e. Harmandir-Darbar Sahib,
Amritsar, Durgiana Peeth-Amritsar, Akshardham-Ahemdabad and Hazoor
Sahib-Nanded, Maharashtra.**

                    The Yatra shall visit a minimum of 41 places in the nine
States and two Union Territories of India. Besides this, it shall also visit
the Pandit refugee camps in Jammu and Kashmir State to involve the community
members in a practical manner. The Yatra shall, during its two month long
journey period, also meet political and other important leaders of the
country at various places throughout its course.   Sufficient material in
the shape of books, folders and photographs, depicting our plight and our
demand, shall be taken along with the whole Yatra.

                      I appeal to all concerned to contribute to the success
of this historical mega-event. We dedicate this Yatra to the youth of the
community who sacrificed their lives all these 20 years of turmoil and
turbulence. May the Almighty bestow peace upon them.

* *

* *