[Reader-list] Hitting the Gujarat and West Bengal governments where it hurts: in the wallet

peter griffin zigzackly at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 22:33:52 IST 2007

This is a proposal from a friend, Anjan Ray, left as a comment on a post at
the Citizens for Peace blog here:
http://citizensforpeace.in/blog/2007/11/14/statement-on-nandigram/#comment-40

====

To my mind, there is only one way to deal with State-sponsored terrorism.
And that is a groundswell of economic boycott activity.

When the rule of the law morphs with willing connivance of the political
leadership into the rule of the jungle, it is funded by government and party
cadre revenues. These, in turn, come from economic acitivity within the
State in large measure.

As a first step, I have sold - and encourage you to sell - every share of
any company you hold that has its headquarters in the 2 states under
discussion. You can also sell mutual funds that have invested in such
companies. I will be happy to provide a list and propose alternate
investments if the idea appeals to all those who read this.

Check the packaging of every product you buy, and choose a different option
if the place of manufacture lies within these two states.

Simple enough? Pass this on, and I guarantee you will be amazed at the
impact.
====

Should you wish to take Anjan up on his offer to provide the lists of
companies HQed in those two states and the alternate investments, he can be
reached at anjan DOT ray AT gmail DOT com

And my question to you: How effective and implementable do you think Anjan's
idea is?