[Reader-list] All you who do not sleep tonight...

TaraPrakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 01:48:16 IST 2007

Hi all.
Let me acknowledge that I don't know about Munawar Rana's poetry, but I
think that the poets today are generally Eliotic Hollow Men.
I just wanted to comment on the lines you quoted, even though I know that I
don't know the context to these lines.
To speak nothing but truth in the court (better equivalent of "darbaar") of
lies, is akin to speak nothing but French where only English is understood.
As long as you go by the rules of the bourgeois form of parliament, telling
lies/truths (it varies with divergent perspectives) matters nothing. Stop
talking in the court, stop being the poet of the elite, become people's
poet, I am sure your wish will be granted. The poet then will be certainly
prosecuted or persecuted. The prime suspect of the latest high profile
killing in Jhar Khand is a poet. In Andhra, too, the government is
mercilessly after Maoist activist poets.
The poets otherwise are very willingly ready to be moved by the market
forces. "Tum din ko agar raat kaho, raat kahenge." Somebody said in
Sanskrit, and interestingly it seems such an appropriate critique of post
modern? poets.
"Ushtranam vivaheshu, geetam gayanti gardabhaah,
Parasparam prashasanti. aho shabdah aho dhvanih."
(In the weddings of camels    , asses sing songs; praising each other's
performance, "what lyrics, what sound!)