[Reader-list] Public/Private

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Nov 19 03:28:39 IST 2007

Dear Arnab,

Thank you for raising again the important question of 'publicness' and
'privacy' apropos of the past discussion on this list about whether
religion is, or ought to be, in the public domain.

As you have rightly pointed out, I prefer making a plea for a private
place for matters of faith (or, for that matter, doubt).

I am writing in the hope that my words tonight, might persuade you into
conceding that my formulation of publicness and privateness is a little
more complicated than the standard binary of
"public-secular-reason-state" vs "private-sacred-emotion-subject" binary
that I think you might be inadvertently transposing on to my mapping of
the relationship between public and private matters.

As I have said before on this list, I have no religion to call my own,
but I consider my doubt, my scepticism, my lack of faith to be a private
matter and have no intention of imposing it on to the reasons and
expreiences of others, just as I have no desire to have someone else's
faith, or doub, imposed on to me.

(Let me say in passing that there are after all, as many kinds of doubt,
as there are of faith, and there are many kinds of doubt that are far
from my own, just as there are some kinds of faith that may be close to
my doubts.)

Lest I be misunderstood, let me make it very clear that I do not see the
relation between the categories 'public' and 'private' as constituing a
hierarchy - with public, placed higher than private, or even with an
exalted 'private sphere'.

My plea that religion, or the lack of it, faith, or doubt, be left alone
in the private realm, and not be forced to account for itself in public
has less to do with protecting the 'secular public realm' from the
contagion of the turbulence of belief and heresy than it has to do with
protecting the private turbulences of faith and heresy from the anodyne
banality of always having to make things public.

Tangentially, I argue for a removal of subsidy to Haj pilgrims, not in
order to protect the state from the contagion of having discriminated in
favour of the Haj Pilgrim, but rather to protect the Haj Pilgrim from
the attention of the state.

My objection to the mixing of faith and the political has to do with a
concern against witnessing every aspect of one's existence, including
those that I feel should not be accountable to anyone, being made
subject to political or public considerations.

In our discussions of faith and doubt, it is often forgotten that a
large amount of acts to do with faith have a ritually secret,
confessional, even confidential aspect to them. In such cases,
publicness would constitute a violation. I am trying to be attentive to
the need to protect against such violations.

I am partial to that brand of Sufi thinking for instance, which is
instinctively suspicious of acts of public piety. Here, the question of
secrecy, of privacy has to do with the compacts that people as
individuals make with their consciences, with their inner voices, with
god or whatever takes god's place in the event of the absence of god in
the inner life of an individual. Sometimes these are matters that can be
shared within a circle of seekers who recognize the mutuality of their
search. Sometimes even that concession to mutuality is unavaliable. They
are rarely ever, if made 'public'. The pursuit of a Sufi 'style' in
public, is taken by some Sufis as a mark of hypocrisy, and vanity. A
true Sufi, from this point of view, is someone who can never be
'recognized' as such. From this perspective, there is a worth in the
paradoxical assertion that a true 'Sufi' is one who disguises himself as
a 'non-sufi'.

Personally, I far prefer the very private company of those who either
have faith, or those who are troubled by the lack of it, or those who
celebrate the lack of it, to the banality of either secular, or
ritualized public life.

I am enclosing below a recent text that I (re)wrote and presented for an
audience of art students and curatorial researchers who had asked me to
speak to them about art in the public realm. As it happens, this text
does not refer much to art, but as you will see, it does refer a lot to
religion, and religiosity, which I happen to take very seriousy. Readers
may recognize that the last portion of this text is taken from a
reader-list posting made by me some months ago. I apologize for the
repetition of this material, but hope it will benefit from being framed
in a new context.

I have tried in this text to make the words 'public' and 'private'
somewhat difficult to use by pointing to how they can turn in upon
themselves very often. Arnad, I hope this is of some interest to you.

Often, I find words used in a very loose manner, and consequently, part
of my intellectual work consists in making words more difficult to use,
by pointing to shades, striations and whirlpools of meaning, so that
when one uses them, one does so with great care.

The ideas in this short essay are still being worked on, and should not
be treated as finished. I would welcome any criticisms or comments

By the way, Arnab, I am aware that I still owe you a reply to your
question about what you construe as my statement about a relationship
between censorship and the idea of consent. It will come, in due time.

regards

Shuddha

-----------------------------------
Public Privations : Notes about Private Acts and Public Spaces

*The Public Private Conundrum*
The fifteenth century mausoleum of a dead Afghan monarch in a New Delhi
public garden is perhaps the unlikeliest of private spaces. Here, along
with an itinerant vendor of snacks and savories taking a breather on a
hot summer afternoon and truant schoolboys, are a clutch of courting
couples, a conspiracy of stolen intimacies, quiet seductions and secret
trysts, ransomed from the grip of a heartless city. A collection of very
private moments in very public spaces. They leave their inscriptions on
the walls - defiant declarations of desire -  that annotate the
ornamental and sacred stucco calligraphy on the arches - "Raju loves
Sunita", "Miriam loves Nusrat", "I love you Ram Dhan", "Rani + Rana =
Sweethearts Forever".

Privacy and affection, separately, or together never come cheap in the
crowded city where I live. Public displays of affection are not
necessarily encouraged in Delhi and only the well to do can afford the
luxury of seclusion in love. Rooftop apartments with independent
entrances in family owned town houses, love nests in hotels, the back
seats of capacious SUVs, weekend getaways in hill station guest houses,
or keys to the flats of pliant friends are conveniences that few can
access. And those who can, can also go to clubs, bars and parties where
public displays of affection do not lead to instant assault. The public
that displays its affections to its own charmed circle finds ways to do
so behind high walls, high cover charges and high gates with vigilant
watchmen in attendance.

They do not carve love letters on the tombs of forgotten kings. They do
not tarry at the milk booth to catch someone's eye, or make small talk
across rooftops in a squatter settlement while hanging out clothes to
dry. They do not take long rides on the afternoon bus that takes them
nowhere close to where they live, or work, or study, because the space
of the bus ride is also the only time in which to have a conversation,
uninterrupted, veiled by  an invisible film of brave indifference, a
duet of averted gazes that guards against the mocking stares of
co-passengers.

The abandoned cenotaph, the river-front walkway, the downtown underpass,
the ruined urban fortress, the crowded, or empty bus, the broken down
playground, the shade of a generous tree, the derelict back street of a
commercial complex, the corner seat in the cinema that only shows b
movies, the street corner snack stall, the park bench, the dank
corridors of public toilets and the steps of a public library - spaces
rife with presences, riddled with curious gazes, awash with the traffic
of millions of human beings, become theatres of urban intimacy for
millions of people in cities like Delhi. Here, Public and Private Life
become contagious, contiguous, continuous facets of the same messy
reality. Public architecture, and the accidents of urban planning yield
themselves to the steadfast pressure of private life.

*The Private Life of the Public Street*
People fall in love, have sex, are born, defecate, cook, eat, sleep,
work, play, read, sing, dance, pray, curse, quarrel, fight, riot, go
mad, get possessed, enter trance states, cry, laugh, fall sick, get
drunk, get arrested, get shot, get run over, and die on the street. The
street is heaven and hell, factory and prison, morgue and nursery,
market and office, boutique and salon, club and bar, library and
university,  high court and parliament, shrine and brothel, school and
playground. The street is the city, the world, the bed you take your
lover to. The street is the epic that people narrate their life into.
The street is cruel and generous and indifferent and curious and
concerned and hostile. The street is the hyphen that conjoins every
public stance to every private longing. The street redeems every
privation, hears every prayer and kicks every dream into the gutter.  It
should come as no surprise then, that often the most intensely
emotional, even melodramatic moments in Hindi cinema are precisely those
that get to be staged on the street. Here, in full public view, the most
intense desires, the most painful humiliations, the darkest anger, the
greatest joy, the strongest love and the most profound loneliness find
their fullest expression. The street is where the public act and the
private motive get to know each other.

A phone tap of a conversation on a crowded Delhi street between Kasmiri
lecturer in Arabic in Delhi University and his step brother in Kashmir
about why his wife is not going back to her maternal home for a few days
becomes evidence in a terrorism show-trial, and the cornerstone of proof
of a so-called conspiracy to attack the Indian parliament that prompts
the largest military mobilization since the second world war. Its words,
which point to banal domestic issues are twisted and mistranslated to
mean justifications of a terrorist attack. A very private conversation
gets construed, retrospectively as a very public statement.

A call centre worker in India, when catering to North American
customers, is often expected to take on a different 'private identity' –
Sunita, becomes Susan, her place of work and residence, glide over time
zones. The weather report on her computer tells her of the climate in
another part of the world, which she makes her own as she slips into a
different accent to deal with her client. In the course of her
conversation, she invokes her clients credit history, purchase
decisions, and other private information.

The shift between one private identity and another, and negotiating the
contours of an 'other's' (the client) private life,  is the ground on
which her public persona as a worker in the service sector of the global
new economy is constructed.

*Different Histories, Different Publics*
The neat separation between public and private existence that is
supposed to attend to the rise of the modern individual in the
notionally European centre-stage of world history  has never quite been
able to live up to its own premises in South Asian societies. It does
not do so today.

Yet even in Europe, historically,  the distinction between public and
private breaks has tended to break down the moment deviations from
prescribed moral codes have occurred - thus behaviour outside the
appropriate norms of marital heterosexuality has tended in the past to
invite public punitive intervention even if it has occurred in private
spaces, between consenting individuals. The division ordained by the law
and by moral conventions between crimes and vices (which are offences
without victims) in the nineteenth century, and which remained
operational through much of the twentieth century, suggested that an
individual's act in the privacy of his or her own presence, or in the
presence of other individuals, is not devoid of public consequences,
when it represents a deviation from marital heterosexuality.

It is one of the strange ironies of post colonial societies, that these
European, (and deeply Judeo-Christian, or actually more specifically,
Protestant), heteronormative injunctions regulating 'private' behaviour
and sexuality through publicly laid down norms, which arrived in
non-European cultures as 'innovations' have now become the mainstay of
cultural conservatism in the same non-European societies. Hindu and
Islamic fundamentalists both lead virulent campaigns against gays and
lesbians in the name of tradition, neglecting to examine the actual
historical record of permissiveness in South Asian and Islamicate
societies. In a remarkable act of cultural amnesia, the traditional
liberality in the realm of the erotic and the sexual is forgotten to
make way for a recent prudery that is then apotheosized as a newly
constituted mark of 'traditional' morality. This too has consequences on
the relationship between private and public life in societies such as ours.

The terms 'Public' and 'Private' can then be seen more as place holders
for concepts that change their content over time, than as actual
descriptions of ways of inhabiting space.

Having said this, it is not altogether fruitless to explore how
different societies have realized the distinction in spatial terms. If
the post renaissance European model of the public square, the public
institutional building, the public park, the public street and the very
private homestead is an instance of a neat binary operation, then, other
societies and cultures have found other methods of articulating the
public-private relationship. The rise of modernity in non-western
societies has seen an overlay between different models of publicness and
privacy. It is possible, then, for an individual to simultaneously
inhabit an exclusively 'public' realm as derived from a European
heritage, and a 'public-private' continuum that is more porous and flexible.

Traditionally, South Asian cultures have tended to be arrange public and
private aspects of life in a series of overlapping and concentric
circles. Courtyards and kitchens, terraces and pavements, encroachments
and annexes constantly re-position the line that separates public and
private life by giving rise to permanently provisional zones of liminality.

*The Outsideness of Inside - Considerations on Domesticity*
The structure of a traditional North Indian 'big' house, with its
different entrances and exits for different kinds of people, its
'meeting room'  - the 'baithak' or 'majlis' - where menfolk do business
and conduct public affairs, its inner and outer courtyards, its shrine,
the 'andar mahal' - where the women of the household can go unveiled,
the capacious beds that make room for more than a couple, the secret
niches and hidden passages, or concealed staircases, godowns and attics
that become playgrounds of intimacy, the roof that can be the bedchamber
under the sky on summer nights and the backgarden overlooking a well or
a pond is a complex zone where different articulations of publicness and
privacy are bound by rigid rules. However, these rules are rigid not in
terms of the separation between publicness and privacy, but in terms of
which term is applicable to whom and in what context. Let us take for
instance the example of the 'women's quarters' - here, the ritualized
segregation of the sexes prohibits women from being exposed to adult men
and the 'public realm' that such men inhabit. But in many ways, the
'inner palace' or the 'andar mahal' is the most intense conduit of news
and information from the outside world. Here, the gossip and rumours of
the neighbourhood, of the court, of the city and the district, conveyed
by servants, artisans, nurses, friends and relatives, circulated with
remarkable felicity. The women of the harem and the traditional
household, though veiled, in 'pardah', in notional seclusion from the
world outside, would often be more 'conversant' with what went on in the
world than even the busy public men who dabbled in the affairs of the
world from their noisy 'baithaks' and meeting rooms. Often female power,
excercised from the depths of private space, from within the innermost
folds of domestic interiority was able to change the course of outer,
public events because it had access to unofficial, informal channels of
information and communication. The commerce between ostensibly public
and officially private would often lead to subtle alterations of the
balance of power between them, with private acts leading on occasion to
very public consequences.

There is no archive, or history of private life. All that we glean of
private moments come to us from lived experience, and from stories, from
proverbs and songs, from myths and parables told by women, servants and
old men to children. This is how many of us grow up to understand love
and loss, longing and belonging, cunning and compassion, courage and
discretion and all the things that you need to have a sense of to lead a
life that constantly fluctuates between public and private registers.

If the public sphere is the realm of history, and private life the
domain of interiority, then history and interiority get constantly
dovetailed into each other in all sorts of complicated ways. Dreams,
longings, revelations, instances of amazement and other intensely
individuated instances become the foundations of public acts,
performances, pronouncements and positions. Naturally, this leads to
anxieties about propriety and appropriateness, and typically, disputes
about behaviour in public spaces tend to be about the fact that the
actors concerned were seen to be acting in a manner that demonstrated
their lack of regard for the 'publicness' of the space. In other words,
they were acting as if the 'street' were their 'bedroom'. This obection
to the inappropriate transposition of modes of behaviour is complicated
by the fact that often the 'street' is also the 'bedroom', but that
apart, what it is also challenged by is the fact that the models of
'public persona' and 'private self' that it is based on may not be
consonant with the modes of living and acting of many people.

*Public Mourning and Private Grief*
Thus, the exhibition and display of grief, a very private emotion,
through rituals of lament and self mortification in very public
'Moharram' processions by Shia Muslims in India are often instances
where the whole 'public-private' conundrum gets sharply foregrounded.
Lucknow, a north Indian city with a large Shia population, frequently
witnesses Shia-Sunnic clashes, as the Shia moharram procession, with
'taaziyeh' being attacked, as it passes through Sunni neighbourhoods.

For the majority Sunni Muslim community, and many non muslims, the
rituals of Shia Muslim mourning are seen as 'the private affair of that
community'. For Shias the mourning is meaningless if it is not
'performed' in public view. Rivulets of private grief mingle to form a
very public lament, that reinforces the sense of identity of a people
that sees itself as a beleaguered community, as a  minority within a
minority. That the performances of mourning also often entail the making
of ritualized accusations against important Sunni personages is a bone
of contention that ignites Shia-Sunni friction with repetetive
regularity. Here, the private grief, of Shia individuals, what Sunnis
call the 'private affair' , of the Shia community, and the space of the
street, where these are made public - come together explosively.
Peculiarly, Shia Sunni riots in public spaces over Moharram are very
modern phenomena, (though Shia-Sunni conflicts are not) and they date
precisely to the moment where public spaces were seen as somehow
separate and distinct from private life. The argument made by those who
protest against Shia street rituals are as follows - 'if the street is a
public space, then, it is inappropriate that it be used for private
purposes. If private claims are made on that public space, however
temporarily, then they are likely to come up against counter claims made
by other private parties, thus it is best that no private claims
whatsoever are made on public space or on public consciousness.'

The public space, public consciousness, public realm - is the domain of
the secuarized, apparently un-marked bourgeoise citizen. The singular
error in this operation however is that this being, actually generalizes
his private claims, the very specific conditions of his very limited
existence on to a universalizing claim of 'publicness'. It is this
subject, everywhere a construct that relies on the tacit expression of
majoritarian sentiment, which disguises its particularity under the garb
of an ab initio ontological universality. In India, this is the abstract
figure of the average 'Hindu' who consitutes the normative point of
departure for both 'secular' as well as 'secterian' versions of the
script of political citizenship. A variant of this same figure is the
abstraction of the 'Indian Muslim' – who tends to conform to the
criteria of mainstream 'Sunni' Islam. These are demographic accidents,
the inverse could be possible in say, Iran, where the 'Shia' patina on
the ritualization of citizenship would inflect differently say on
Zorastrian or Jewish claims to action in public space, and in
Scandinavia, where a raucous demonstration of indignant undifferentiated
Muslim pietry may be seen as more disturbing of the public peace than
even the carnivalesque celebrations of the Stockholm pride parade, which
is now accepted and acceptable within the 'public realm' of contemporary
Swedish society.

Quasi - Public renditions of acceptable figures are possible, though
subject to qualifications, that quarantine them from the 'majority' of
the public, in a space designated as temporarily 'public' but for a
'large private purpose'. This is the stuff of negotiation and
compromise, of give and take over claims to public space between
community representatives and the officials of the law and order
apparatus. But, events such as Moharram in North India regularly throw
up anomalous figures, neither Hindu, nor Sunni Muslim, but loudly,
lamentingly, embarrasingly Shia, and their claims to 'public space'
suddenly constitutes a crisis of the secular realm, showing us how
tenuous and fragile the foundations of acceptable 'publicness' are.
Neither the machinery of the state, nor the 'leaders of the community',
nor the written or unwritten norms of public behaviour are able to deal
with such anomalies. Processions start and then deviate from the
prescribed routes, the height of 'taaziyehs' exceeds that which is
normally allowed, crowds of young men do things that they are not
supposed to, like flagellate themselves more violently then they are
expected to, and women keen their lament at the martyrdom of Husain and
Hassan a pitch louder than necessary, and the narrator of the story of
Karbala neglects to ask the Sunnis to politely leave the majlis when the
turn in the narration necssitates the cursing of the oppressive caliphate.

In each of these cases, the minority, is seen at best as 'venting' its
private business in public society, and at worst, challenging the
(loaded) neutrality of public space with subversive performances of its
'private' identity.

*'Unspeakablilty'*
The conditions of public life legislated through law and juridical
convention are ultimately a code and a language unto themselves –
acceptance of an utterance within the public realm is ultimately a
matter of recognition that a speech act or an utterance is intelligible.
Yet courts, and a variety of other constituted public spaces, routinely
render different kinds of utterance as falling outside the circle of
public intelligibility. Various kinds of utternace are processed into
the 'unspeakable'. This forces these claims into a silence, an
interiority, a privation that involves the stripping away of public
status, and its reduction to a private and particular place. Thus, the
claims of a group of tribals to their land, if expressed through myths
and song is seen as un-intelligible ritual, unreadable in the domain of
evidence and veracity, while the apparatus, staging, role play and
paraphernalia of jurisprudence itself is not seen in ritualisitc terms.
One ritual wins over another precisely by stating that it is not in fact
a ritual. The public realm of the courtroom is then an arena where one
'private agenda' (that of modernity and its institutional history) wins
over another ( a traditional claim to land by a tribal group). Perhaps
we would do well to be wary of the fact that many public claims are
energized by a complex web of private agendas disguised to the point of
invisibility.

*The Parable of Lions*
The symbolic apparatus of the modern Indian nation state borrows heavily
from a re-purposed ancient Imperial past. The lion capital of Ashoka, a
symbol of Imperial power is today the seal of the Indian state. It
features four roaring lions standing in close proximity on a pillar. In
conclusion, I would like to offer you a parable of another image of a
lion. Sometime in the summer of 2001, while working on a project that
would be realized as 'The Co Ordinates of Everyday Life' a multi screen
and cross media installation on law, illegality and claims on urban
space, we came across and recorded a broken down wall in what had been a
central delhi squatter settlement. The demolition, which was recent and
incomplete, had exposed the inner walls of many makeshift dwellings. One
such wall was inscribed with a child's drawing - a large, happy, blue lion.

The lion on the seal of the state roars at the lion on the wall of the
makeshift dwelling. The two lions emdody two ways in which a city can
speak, and yet both speak of the way in which the hands of power
transform a landscape. The Imperial Mauryan lion marks urban space with
an official order, designating what is legal and what is illegal. This
official order comes across a dwelling and demolishes its outer walls,
revealing its innermost core, on which stands inscribed a child's happy
lion. The broken interior back wall of an ‘illegal’ home becomes a
public wall when the shell of the house is destroyed. An extant law
forbids private inscriptions and acts of graffiti on public walls. The
happy blue lion, hitherto the hero of a child's fantasy, expressed
within the confines of a domestic space, becomes, post demolition, a
private inscription on a public wall. A wall is destroyed, a drawing
becomes a fugitive. Private niches yield to the onslaught of public
laws, are transformed into public spaces, and then are subject to
further scrutiny.In the civil war that rages between the master plan and
the moment, the walls of the population must be more circumspect and
reticent, in keeping with the urgencies of our times. The privations of
the public realm have their own urgent ways of demanding our attention.

*Public/ Private/ Peer*
In closing, I would like to propose a possible way out of the
relenteless public-private quandary - by way of urging a consideration
of the category of the 'peer' as a counterpoint to the public-private
binary. The 'peer group' is not an innocent category, it can be
exclusionary towards those outside it, and deeply invasive towards those
within it. But perhaps the one thing it does allow is to enable modes of
being and acting that are more sympathetic to the demands of
inter-subjectivity than the private-public binary can allow for. We
know, at least notionally, what public spaces and private spaces are, or
could be. What about 'spaces of peerage' - are they the commons of a
transposed inter-subjectivity that allows for a greater porosity between
public acts and private intents. Some designs of peerage seem
discernible in the structure of online 'peer to peer' networks - how
might these designs be translated into concrete and offline realms? How
might we construct spaces where our private anxieties and public masks
can on occasion be held in abeyance, while we construct other modes of
interactive being? Perhaps some ideas might emerge in discussion. As I
have no answers, but many questions about what 'peerage' might mean, I
would love to learn from you, what you might think about the possibility
of such spaces.

---

A small footnote

A few months earlier this year, an art student at a prestigious Art
School in the University of Baroda in Western India got embroiled into a
sad and strange controversy. He had made a series of not very
interesting installations for the school's final year show, some of
which, were seen as acts of deliberate insult to religious feelings -
there were images of Hindu deities, and apparently an effigy of the
crucified christ with water flowing out of the exposed penis of the effigy.

A mob of Hindu fundamentalist activists, later to be followed by
Protestant christian zealots (and normally, in the state of Gujarat,
these two kinds of groups act against each other, rather than in concert
with each other) entered the University Art School's gallery, damaged
the 'offending' art works, threatened the students and the faculty, and
roughed up the student. Later, police came to protect the mob, and
arrested the student under a series of laws, including disruption of
public order, intention to cause enmity between different groups and
section Section 295A: Deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage
religious feelings

The problem is, Chandramohan's lawyers can at best argue that his
actions are not evidence of his intentions. However, an artist is such
only because his actions have deliberation. Thus, to save Chandramohan
the person from a prison sentence, his lawyers might have to jettison
Chandramohan's identity as an artist. Such an argument, given the
circumstances that the images in question were made for an exam of the
fine arts department, may be impossible, or at the very leas   difficult
  to sustain,

  The reason that distinguishes between the scrawls made by a chimpanzee
and an abstract expressionist has to do with the idea of intention. To
protect Chandramohan's act as an instance of un-malicious behavious, it
has to be freed from the matrix of artistic intention. We cannot really
quarrel about the purport of the intention, because the onus of proving
hurt, has to do not with the hurter, but with the hurtee.

Hurt, is a subjective feeling, and as long as the hurt say that they
feel their pain, we are in no position to debate whether their pain or
humiliation is real or imagined. There cannot, in fact be, imagined or
feigned pain, because a court is in no position to measure the intensity
of feeling on any given issue. Thus when a person says that their
religious sensibilities are hurt,  a court has to listen, (if the injury
  to sensibilities is mentioned as a cause of harm). Chandramohan cannot
say that he intended to cause pain. He can only say that he intended to
  cause meaning to be read into his actions. If someone says that they
read meaning in his actions in a manner that caused them pain,there is
very little that Chandramohan or his lawyers can say in defence against
  such a charge

The only thing that can be debated is the question of whether or not
there was 'intention'in the first place. As an artist, Chandramohan
cannot run away from intention.

And so it is that along with Mr. Niraj Jain, (a purported Bajrang Dal
leader who also contested the Vadodara civic body elections on a BJP
ticket), the other guardian of public morality who protested against the
art student Chandra Mohan's work in a departmental exhibition at the
Fine Arts Faculty at MS University Baroda happens to be a pastor with
the Methodist Church, most appropriately named the Rev. Emmaneul Kant.

There has to be adequate recognition, I think of the magical facticity
in knowing that a protest against a work of art is being led (at least
in part) by an Emmanuel Kant.

For all those familiar with the Vadodara pastor's distinguished
Konigsbergian philosopher namesake,  Emmanuel (or Immanuel) Kant's
'Critique of Judgement' (a book that continues to be influential enough
in discussions of contemporary aesthetic practice and thought to be seen
hovering around the curatorial mandate of Documenta 12 and other serious
matters like a spirit that got stuck in limbo after a mistimed seance),
the delicate ironies of this haunting of the Vadodara controversy by the
ghost of Kant cannot be escaped.

In his Critique of Judgement,Kant can be found paraphrased as saying :

"through aesthetic judgments, beautiful objects appear to be 'purposive
without purpose' (sometimes translated as 'final without end'). An
object's purpose is the concept according to which it was made (the
concept of a vegetable soup in the mind of the cook, for example); an
object is purposive if it appears to have such a purpose; if, in other
words, it appears to have been made or designed. But it is part of the
experience of beautiful objects, Kant argues, that they should affect us
as if they had a purpose, although no particular purpose can be found."

Now a Kantian, confronted with Chandramohan's work, Jain & Kant led
protests, and the sections 153 and 295 of the Indian Penal Code, would
not be in any position to wriggle out of the problem of 'aesthetic
intention'. If Chandramohan is an artist, his work would affect us as if
they had a purpose, even if no particular purpose were to be found.

The only legal solution available under the Indian legal system, in my
opinion, is for Chandramohan to say that he is not an artist, but a mere
impostor, and that his work, is not purposive, or intentional, but the
mere outpouring of a distracted, and demented mind, in other words, to
take refuge in the diginifed solitude of madness. What I am suggesting,
is the insanity defence, as used in a murder trial.

In other words  the - 'My Lord, my client was not of sound mind, he did
not know what he was doing, when he shot the plaintiff's aged mother'
maneouvre.

If Chandramohan is an artist, then the courts will look at intention.
And as in a murder trial, the calibration of intention can lead to a
degree of dimunition of a sentence from homicide to manslaughter, but
cannot do away with the fact of the offence.

I say this only to underscore the problems of aesthetic intention,
ethical conduct and legal judgement that this case seems to have thrown
open, perhaps at the instance of the long neglected spectre of the
venerable I(E)mmanel Kant. Our understanding of art, and our
valorization of the public realm, must at times I think be striated with
a few modest caveats that make us look at instances of tactical retreat
from the publicness of our work as occasional necessities. Let us not be
so condescending towards an occasional bout of hesitation with regard to
making things public.