[Reader-list] Modi's image builders have dictators on client list

sadan at sarai.net sadan at sarai.net
Mon Nov 19 11:59:10 IST 2007

Dear All,

Long back, writing on Hitler, Adorno made a remark that Hitler was
perceived as a combination of King Kong and the neighbourhood barber. This
remark is quite popular and I do not need to go into the details of either
this statment, or Adorno's work on authoritarian personality. Adorno's
abovequoted remark still provides us clues and ways to engage with
questions i.e. why a personality (so hated otherwise by a good number of
critics who believe in humanity) not merely charms a large section but also
appears popular among a very good number of people.
The catch words here may be 'charm', quantity of 'people' (this is the most
crucial in democracy and have clear implications in other forms of
politics:totalitarianism for example) and the 'popular'. These are key
words not because they open up the subject of discussion but they perform
the task of closing and bracketing the discussion. This also does not mean
that these concepts do not possess the potential to open the subject but
quite often we do not find the case. Now, coming back to Suddha's post.
For sometimes, we have been obsessively discussing Gujarat, Modi, Nandigram
and the left(sorry a particular section of the lest establishment). I
celebrate this obession to critique and dissaminate information in whatever
way we can do).
My concern is slightly less clear to me.
We constantly talk about Modi we hardly talk about BJP. I can anticipate
few ready-made answers but i do not buy them.
I read only two newspapers here: Times of India and DNA( which has started
its Gujarat edition only from this month and currently I get a
complementary copy). In both these papers everyday (without any fail) we
find at least one news focussed only on Modi (his life, his hair, his
photograph) and believe me these are not opinionated pieces in any overt
sense of the term. The representational logic of national media(both
mainstream as wella s alternative spaces) is hardly different. The logic
continues.. Modi...communalism...development...sometimes Keshu Bhai, Ahmad
Patel and the figure of rebel BJP also adds to it.
Is this the only circulatory logic available before us?
I go back to the last two Bihar elections. The frame was more or less
similar, players and key words were changed. But one cant compare Gujarat
with Bihar. Neither Gujaratis will like that nor Biharis will prefer that.
Gujjus for being compared with a backward state ( in terms of developmental
index) and Biharis for being treated on the platform of humanity.
We can also not compare Gujarat pogrom with Nandigram. Neither people from
these states will like, nor we can go too far with these comparisions.
Though media loves such bytes. Why are we comparing them, what for?
Despite the fact that people often use the term genocide for any state
sponsored systemtically organised mass violence, despite the fact that my
very learned teacher Prof. Sumit Sarkar has quite painfully equated the
two, despite the fact that Sudhha in his brilliant postings have informed
us instances of mass violence unleased by leftist regimes and despite the
fact that encyclopedias often give exaples of both Hitler's rule and
leftist regimes while defining totalitarianism.
My reservation has nothing to do with privilaging one regime over the other
in their response over a particular section of people. It is also not about
the ideology, nor about social structure where these brutal acts have taken
place under specific circumstances. It is not about history either. It is
about the memory of violence, the pain of victims and the futures of
democracy. And we need to look at there and not in the eyes of the
perpetrator. These Eyes are always charming.
sadan.