[Reader-list] Islamic violence and Taslima Nasreen

MRSG mrsg at vsnl.com
Thu Nov 22 15:00:47 IST 2007

Please do not spread conspiracy theory about Islamic violence in Kolkata -
It was the logical outcome of the past events during last few years.
Just some facts below.
1. LF Govt bans Taslima's book. CPI, CPIM. RSP, Forward Block all supported
to appease the muslim fundamentalists.  Congress, Trinamul never protested.
2. Congress minority cell has officially demanded Taslima's expulsion long
back.
3. Mamata has officially supported the cause at a madrasa students
conference
4. Siddikullah, the real hero of Nadigram, the leader of Jamat,  has been
termed a secular by Mahasweta devi and all other fellow travellers of
Nandigram resistance. Siddikulla's party organised a huge demonstration on
11 Novemeber in Kolkata against Taslima, in which the death to Taslima was
one of the major slogans. It has been reported prominently in Anandabazar
Patrika. Earlier this organisation with others have prevented Taslima's
poetry session in Medinipur, the district headquarter where Nandigram is
situated. No significant poet or intellectual of West Bengal protested
6. Left front government spread the madrasa education and have a separate
minister for it.
7. Taslima was prevented to inaugurate Book Fair at Siliguri after a handful
of islamic protestors demonstrated. No significant poet or intellectual of
West Bengal protested
8. Biman Basu, CPIM supremo has asked Taslima to consider leaving West
Bengal.
9. So all the significant political parties have ganged up with the Islamic
fundamentalists to drive away Taslima Nasrin. People of West Bengal, 'civil
society' have mostly remained silent. There have been a few protests but not
significant. This is the result. And probably more to come of similar nature
beyond the issue of Taslima.

M Ray