[Reader-list] Migration, Money Flow and Western Union

sadan at sarai.net sadan at sarai.net
Fri Nov 23 15:28:31 IST 2007

Dear Patrice,
Thanks for your post. Yes you are right in poiting out the role of     \
informalchannels of money transfer. However, I am not sure whether 'Havala'
can help us to understand migration and money transfer in a scenario     \
involving small players, less well to do migrants i.e. workers or middle
level professionals. This is I think where Western Union aims at. You are
right pointing out that there is a lack of good material on the practice of
havala. I remember reading a narrative of one such encounter in Delhi     \
where some one posted his personal experience of sending money using this
network.
Havala at times refer to a whole range of practice of money transfer     \
and this blanket use of the term at times doesnot permit us to know the
intricacies involved with specific practices otherwise referred as     \
Havala.
For example, we know very little about domestic money transfer, ways     \
in which migrant workers from north Bihar, Orissa, Jharkhand send money
back to their homes. In Surat, Gujarat there are operators (people from   \
this migrant community of workers) who are known as 'Tappawalla'. They
work very smoothly to send money to Orissa and enjoy the faith of this
community. I am told that the emergence of these 'Tappawallas' owes a lot
to the mushrooming private banks (non-state players i.e. HSBC, CITY Bank,
ICICI etc), ATM booths and mobile phone culture.
sadan.