[Reader-list] A comment on derrida's reading of Kant on censorship

ARNAB CHATTERJEE apnawritings at yahoo.co.in
Mon Nov 26 15:17:14 IST 2007

 Dear All,
           Following yesterday's post I might just
remind those concerned, that besides my reading of
Kant you can take Derrida's in his 'Eyes of the
University" where he says “There is no private
censorship" [which I'm calling civil censorship
otherwise], "even if censorship reduces speech to its
condition of private manifestation.” Derrida
interestingly bases himself again on the definition of
censorship as a state related event with law and the
police, he gets to the topic of liberal regimes and
finds various other mechanisms of prohibition,
suppression etc "without censorship ( in the strict
sense of the term." For an extreme other view where
censorship is the primordial condition of all
production you might just see  Judith Butler and her
'Excitable speech' where one might specualte my usage
as having found  an interesting resonance.
         No comments on both of them but I shall wait
for some to retain this debate in some form and link
them in a way ( well why not priyo Jeebesh Bagchi,
dear Lawrence Liang ( that critical legal theorist
gone missing)and anybody else?) I'll join you with a
jump.

join you anyway,
Till then
with a theoretical hug
osuddho ( as my 'active'well wishers say)
arnab

      Explore your hobbies and interests. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups