[Reader-list] Back To The Future in Bangladesh

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 19:34:15 IST 2007

dear all
it seems we will never get rid of that part of histroy which
torments...i sound pessimistic, but    that is how the situation in
Kolkata has emerged, and which is sadly in sync with Bangladesh's.....
Rest of India is equally pregnant with such a history...is hell bent
to repeat itself. Paskitan's present is sadder than it was in the
past... kashmir is much sadder than it was in the past... and still we
are wondering what to do with Taslima, Salman Rushide, MF Hussain and
such other heros both forgotten and celebrated.... If this is how we
treat our artists and writers then we naturally deserve the situation
we are in....

Oscar Wilde was once humilated and punished for his love affair and
his writings...wrtiers and artists by and large preferred silence at
that time.... but indirectly the western rebel writing quickly
restored what was lost to the selfish politics of nobles....Biman Dass
looks like  father of Lord Alferd Dougles ( oscar Wilde;s boy friend )
who left no stone unturned to Punish  Taslima

Oscar Wilde is an icon of modern history and literature, whether you
like his homo-erotic throught and aestheticism... he is a hero... J.P.
Sartre in his book Saint Jenet described him as Prince Aesthet....

the question is whether we restore Taslima Nasreen before her
death or after.... She is likely to inspire future generation of writers poets
and artists...( the argument that she is not a good writer hold no
water at the moment )

She is already an icon....but still i dont like my pessimism...
becuase it is hard to ignore things like Modi's phallic-Gujarat who is
so shamelessly inviting Taslima Nasreen for political asylum...for a
safe future !

with love to all
is