[Reader-list] Chitra Venkataramani's Hygiene and the City: resolving language

Aman Sethi aman.am at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:47:20 IST 2007

Dear Chitra,

I realise that this is a rather late response to a post you almost six
months ago - but i  read your latest post (on your blog) and decided
to go through your previous postings.  Needless to say, the project is
brilliant.

What i wanted to ask you was whether you had resolved the "language
problem" you faced in sxn two of your book.  I too have been
struggling with the notion of language of late- particularly in the
translation from hindi (or marathi or any other language) into
english.  I have been working and writing about construction labour
for a while now - but am yet to figure out how to render their richly
textured dialects into english.

I did try reading a number of travel books to see how travel writers
deal with non-english language speakers in their books.  What i
realised was that very few travel writers (who write in english) speak
the language of the places they visit - and so the only people they
speak to are "natives" who speak some sort of broken english.  This
broken english is then faithfully reproduced by the travel writer and
provides comic relief.

However, in my interactions with labourers, we do not converse in
english at all!  Translating edgy yet poetic hindi into edgy yet
poetic english (in the off chance where this is possible) makes the
labourers sound rather strange and alien, and my narrative seems fails
the essential "Who talks like this in real world" test.

Would be interested in learning about your experiences with the same.
Best
a.