[Reader-list] KASHMIR'S NAND BAB

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 23:43:49 IST 2007

please click  for the image and then read

http://indersalim.livejournal.com

Kashmir, or 'the rishi vaar ' the valley of Saints. I just returned
from Kashmir, and I saw none, but there must be still some left in the
hidden corners of the troubled valley. Strangely, just after my
return, I happened to see a photograph of such a rishi (mot/darvesh )
who was knows as Nand Bab. This particular photograph of Nand Bab
reminds me of Salvador Dali, the noted  Artist-surrealist if you just
paste those famous pointed moustaches on the image. I don't know if
Dali had any premonition to predict a particular event, but Nand Bab
had, if one believes what people talk about him.

Who are Maet ( these mad, saint, darvesh, poets) ?  They are
eccentric, spiritually elevated and sometimes capable of uttering
verses. For reasons unknown, they are always in a hysterical mode, and
therefore, unaware about the form societies are obliged to adhere
with. They have hardly anything to do with politics, religion or other
logical forms of thought. In short they are a different species and
yet they give a lot to the people they come in contact with.

So if Nand Bab had to say something to A, he turns to B and says
something in a twisted way. And if he has something to say to B he
turns to C and delivers a volley of words to the audience, which is
free to be interpreted. People would never dare to offend him even if
he slaps or spits a person. People still talk about miracles of Nand
Bab. He was unpredictable like other such saints.

They were always in the world, I believe they still pass effortlessly
through  societies irrespective of the times.  The blind prophet,
Tiresias, predicts the fall of King Oedipus. That is indeed
literature, but this indicates that such people have indeed lived upon
this earth in this form or that form.  They are in fact products of
the very complexities of our social behaviour.  I believe, a cool
scratching of our respective minds can guarantee us the presence of
such a trace in each one of us. EVERY ONE IS AN ARTIST, said Joseph
Beuys, the great German performance artist who includes in his SOCIAL
SCLUPTURE this kind of a possibility also, besides his profound
discourses on the understanding of anthropology. Therefore, SOCIAL
ORGANISM AS WORK OF ART.

Prof. Ghulam Mohd. Shaad in his monogram ( published by Sahitya
Academy )  on Abdul Ahad Zargar, the last Sufi Saint Poet of Kashmir,
writes a little about some miracles of the said poet besides his great
 poetry.  Both Nand Bab and Abdul Ahad Zargar died 1970 A.D,
approximately.

The eyes in the image found, of Nand Bab, encompasses such a  mystery
and complexity.  He was offering talismans ( Rach/taveez ) to his
followers/lovers.  A strange triangular kite like form near his
shoulder suggests about the possibility of a talisman he himself was
sporting. In the image he looks somewhere, but he also look at you.
These eyes are full of compassion, but the nose is so unpredictable,
with mouth open to utter: the mystery of Kasheer (Kashmir).

So, mapping Kashmir, this way too.  Sculpture