[Reader-list] A letter from an activist of the Narmada Andolan

prakash ray pkray11 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:25:59 IST 2007

Dear friends,
I am posting a letter from a well-known activist of the Narmada Andolan. A
verson of the text has also been published in *Pratham Prawakta, a
Hindi *journal
published from Delhi (1-15 Oct,2007). I urge all of you to ponder over the
questions raised.
Thanks,
Prakash*  *
*LETTER from JAGADEESH B N
*Dear All

Many things are unquestioned or ignored just because it is a
"Non-violent, Non-funded people movement" working for peoples' right,
and also since people like me who have left the movement without much
protest ('an easy escape'), has ended in the boycotting of people in
their villages and the banning them form their own movement.

During mt trip this time to Narmada Valley I have witnessed many things
- from the most important people of the Maheshwar Dam struggle people
bein accused of being "Dalals" with the call by the outside middle class
activists of NBA for removing Valley people form the Narmada Andolan"and
also attempt to ban some of the activists from the caste/community which
has resulted in the banning of other long term and big activist and not
allowing him to visit to his own village. On the other hand the entire
facilities for Kahar-Kewat (the community solely dependent on the fish
and the sand in the river Narmada) is being denied by the upper cast
people in the village Patrad, Thanks to the influence of the urban upper
middle class and English speaking people this is a supposedly a
democratic act in the Narmada valley.

I went to Narmada valley this time when I am facing my difficult time in
my life and was not sure if I am going with right direction in my life.
It was good and thanks to Arun that I made this travel to Valley.

For me, in Narmada Valley, Nimad is the region I really do not like
(keeping in mind that people are really good) it's just because I was
not willing to associate with the people who are landlords. I was most
attracted towards the fisher community and the tribal community, which
led me to work in the Maan dam area where the question was also simple
'just rehabilitation'. Serous disagreement with other activistswith whom
I was associated led me to live the Narmada movement in the year 2003,
also my days as an under trial in Sardarpur Prison led me to want to
become an advocate was another reasonfor leaving the Narmada valley.
This time when I went again to visit those villages, I realized that I
have made a big mistake by leaving the people and the issue in the
middle as they say, and I wished I could have spent another year there.
I have walked too far from there and now I feel, having again visited
the Valley, that it will be good if I do not repeat the same mistake yet
again.

Why this letter?

I am addressing or want to address specifically to Alok Agarwal and
Chittaroopa Palit, the 'leaders of Narmada Bachao Andolan' basically
raising few questions:

    1. Is Mangath really dalal? Has he really taken money form S.Kumar?

    2. How do you justify dismissing Mangath form the N.B.A.?

    3. Was there any necessity to go to press with these issues?

    4. Was there any necessary to send your people to the press
       conference held by Mangath to create a tamasha on the street?

    5. Was there any necessity for you to conduct another press
       conference on the same day?

    6. How do you justify banning Suresh Patidar form visiting his own
       village? Is it possible in a democratic setup, if I assume you
       still believe in Democracy.

    7. How do you justify banning facility for Kahar-Kewat family in
       Village Patrad?

    8. Is it ok for members of your organisation to openly and in full
       view of the press threaten Mangath that they will break his legs
       and kill him? Do you still want to call NBA as non-violent
       struggle?

    9. Is asking for rehabilitation when you know that the dam will not
       be stopped wrong?

   10. How can people forming their own organization to fight for their
       rights, in this case Mangath and his community people forming
       their own organization asking for fishing rights and the proper
       rehabilitation in the democratic country be termed as wrong?

   11. Has NBA taken the contract to run the people movement for the
       entire Narmada Valley?

   12. Has forming any organization or joining any organization in
       Narmada Valley itself become wrong?

   13. How democratic are you when taking decisions on these and other
       issues? (I had previously raised this question along with others
       in a detailed letter which i wrote to you when I was living NBA.
       what i heard form people form Maan is that you have told them,
       that I had run away because of fear of police. )

   14. I also noticed now in Maheshwar the straggle is against the
       Mangath not any more against S.Kumar. (Suggesting Suresh that if
       he want he can join S.Kumar not the Mangath will makes it
       clear)

I am not asking any justification from you but just want to say that
your acts, to me, appears like "your gundagiri on the people of narmada
valley".It would be great if you have time to think about these things
and not repeat the same mistake any more. Neither you or me will be
affected but the people of the Narmada Valley will have to pay a heavy
price (I guess by your decision in 1998, today people in the Sardar
Sarovar and Maan are paying the price, and Maheshwar people will have to
pay in the coming days.

The slogan 'we are all one' now is now an illusion from the Narmada
valley point of view. May be it is high time to think about this slogan
and get back to it really, or, at least stop doing these petty stuff and
allow people to become united against the larger political war. Try to
become some kind of platform where all of us join hands and get ready
for the larger war against injustice.

lastly I really dont want to mention about the fact you have wrote a
letter to people about me,ALF, And Bangalore solidarity group. For all
reason you had ALF number and you had Clifton Number and if you noticed
that if i am not calling you you should have called me and ask me whats
going on with out sending out a mail to people. Infact the mail will not
insult me its shows how cheap you are, one really expect greater things
from you not these things. (as soon as i got the message i have called
you but the conversation was half finished since you got busy and told
me that you will call me still i have not received your call, dont worry
i will not assume any thing about you)

Jagadeesh.BN