[Reader-list] Milk Price Crisis During Eid+Puja

Madhumita Lahiri ml49 at duke.edu
Wed Oct 10 20:25:52 IST 2007

My sense-- from an NPR story a while back, plus the general economics
news--is that global food prices have in fact shot up. There are no milk
specific prices but check out the commodity futures chart--the trajectory is
quite dramatic:
http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/cfutures.html

NPR traced this to a shift in global demand (growing middle classes in the
developing world have shifted towards more animal products consumption,
pushing up demand for those products, and consequently pushing up demand and
hence prices for grains etc. since animal husbandry is much more intensive
than eating vegetarian). The supply side factors are the drought which has
hit agricultural production (generally) in the US and parts of Europe, as
well as the global escalation in fuel prices and certain specific things,
like US agricultural policy (the ethanol subsidy has made the corn market
crazy, for instance). And foodgrain, after all, is an essential input even
in non-grain food products --and it makes keeping milk cows more expensive.
The consumer food prices in the US have gone up quite dramatically since the
last year.

Back to the email, however, the fact that this is linked to global food
prices does NOT mean that the govt should not do something about it. Price
stability in essential commodities is a basic goal for most
political-economic situations; most of the developed world does try to
maintain price stability in the basics, in order to keep general inflation
down. If Bangladesh is in fact allowing for a high rate of commodity
fluctuation (whether for internal reasons or because of external 'free
trade' arguments) that's probably socially bad *and* economically bad.
Conspiracy or not, world commodity price induced or not, one can always
reasonably argue that the government should intervene to keep basic
commodities stable and reasonable.

Hope this is useful. Regards, Madhumita