[Reader-list] EID MUBARAK TO ALL

gowhar fazli gowharfazili at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 10:45:44 IST 2007

The two names 'Anathnag' and 'Islambaad' were/are used
interchangeably in daily conversation.  Some fools
politicize the names and insist on using one or the
other.  But the larger population keeps insisting on
the mistake/s.

Who is this naming aunty Indian State? What right does
the Indian state have to confer names to places?
People use whatever they like and there is no need for
bans or conferment or to get worked up about this. How
can you prevent people from calling a place whatever
they want to call it? You can't use military or
militant diktats to impose names. It wont work. The
name controversy is a big joke.

I buy all the myths about kohimaran, Kari parbat,
killah, shankracharya, takhte suleiman and so do most
people. As a child, it made Srinagar an interesting
place to live in.  Imagine all the deamons, rishis and
prophets flying around! One knew then to relish a
story....

There is this other insistence on making Baramulla,
Varmul to make it sound more Kashmiri and in the same
vein,  Kupwara-Kopwor Pulwama-Pulwom and so on... This
is the hight of self-righteousness. As though by doing
this one would undo the history of colonialism! Why
does a place have to have an official name...  All
name-variants in different languages/traditions carry
their own stories and significance, that tell us of
the different versions of our past.  Reflection on
these stories is more interesting than the tongue
twisters and political correctness of names.  I think
we can afford to have a hundred names for each
place...  the ones that make it harder to roll the
tongue will drop out eventually!

--- inder salim <indersalim at gmail.com> wrote:

> cool down, my friend
>
> what would u call it : M.H. Zafar ( the noted poet
> intellectual of
> Kashmir )  has named his son Abhinav ( after the
> great poet saint
> Abhinav Gupt )
>
> my friend Shafi from  Islamabad ( Anantnag ) has two
> children one Viru
> and other Nishu.
>
> my other friend has named his son Jibran ( after the
> rebel poet Khalil
> jibran  ) and so on....
>
> so please look into  this fact that why muslims dont
> eat fish from
> Anant-Nag ( springs ) in Kashmir.
>
> something is still there, let us restore that....
> naming Islamabad can
> not make it pakistan, but it will certainly resotre
> the popular. why
> to ignore what is so loudly breating out there.
>
> love
> is
>

> On 10/14/07, Pawan Durani <pawan.durani at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > And what do you wish to call New Delhi ? Perhaps
> Kabul !!!
> > Strange fanatic demands which your intellectual
> SARAI friends would term as
> > something right .....
> >
> > A cancer which is being hidden and projected as a
> medicine ....till it
> > strikes Kolkotta , Bangalore ,Chennai and other
> Indian cities.....
> >

> > On 10/14/07, inder salim <indersalim at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > EID MUBARAK  to all
> > >
> > > can be a little healing touch  in Kashmir if
> Govt of India  on this
> > occasion
> > > officiallydeclares:
> > >
> > > Islamabad (Anantnag)
> > > instead of Ananatnag ( Islamabad )
> > >
> > > which is quite a popular demand in Kashmir.
> > >
> > > Kashmiri Pandits ought to understand
> > > that even now, no body in Islamabad ( Anantnag )
> eats fish from the
> > > springs in Kashmir.
> > >
> > > I guess,  we all need to celebrate the popular
> culture  ?
> > >
> > > love and eid mubarak once again
> > >
> > > is
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > http://indersalim.livejournal.com

> > > List archive:
> > &lt;https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>
> >

> --
>
> http://indersalim.livejournal.com
> List archive:
&lt;https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>

Unfortunately, the balance of nature decrees that a super-abundance of dreams is paid for by a growing potential for nightmares.

Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.

Peter Ustinov