[Reader-list] [Announcements] Comic Book Readings

Amitabh Kumar amitabh at sarai.net
Sun Oct 21 18:19:01 IST 2007

t would be an understatement to say that comics in India have not had
as flourishing a practice as cinema, literature and art. Public
knowledge about comic book practice and culture has sadly been
limited to a few major publications and epic productions. Now,
however, we seem to be standing on the threshold of what is being
touted as the graphic novel/comic boom in India. A few questions,
therefore, stare at us:

How do we talk about the hidden narratives that have contributed to
the growth and evolution of the form in India? How do we know and
share the knowledge pool that contributes to comic book practice and
readership in India?

In one such attempt to address these questions, Sarai-CSDS and the
French Information and Resource Center (FIRC) have collaborated to
produce a series of events focusing on a deeper and richer
conversation about the comic book culture in India.
The first such event of this collaboration makes its debut this October.

We are happy to announce that the First Comic Book Reading will be
taking place in the French Information and Resource Center (FIRC), 2
Aurengzeb Road, New Delhi at 5:oo p.m on Friday the 26th of October.

The underlying idea behind these comic book readings is to popularize
discourse about comics by inviting comic book practitioners/readers/
aficionados to talk about a work that has been instrumental in
molding their understanding of the form. The readings provide the
space for a much needed critical look at comic books, and a common
meeting ground for people who have a strong attachment with it.
Orijit Sen (The River of Stories, 1994) will be the first speaker/
reader and will be talking about the evolution of his own practice,
what it was influenced by, and what it has culminated in.

The Comic Book Readings are a bi-monthly affair with the venue
alternating between Sarai and the French Cultural Center. Sarai will
host the next comic book reading, at 5:00 p.m on the 14th of November.

The time envisioned for the readings is approximately an hour,
followed by discussion.