[Reader-list] By R.J. Rummel

rashneek kher rashneek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 12:52:17 IST 2007

Dear Shuddha,

Sorry for spelling your name wrong.I apologise for the mistake.
Nonetheless here we go.
I have read Rajiv Sapru's piece in Vitasta.Infact I am a regular subscriber
to Vitasta myself..
I may not be as good as you when to comes to using citations but let us get
it straight here.Knowledge of history is more important than knowing how to
give citations.Here I am sorry but I submit not to embrass you but to qoute
truth.
Rajatarangni is considered the most credible and authentic source on history
of mediveal and ancient Kashmir.Although Mr.Sapru is a nice person but I am
afraid he and you both need a crash course on how pieces on History are
written.I liked your "cut,copy and paste" job out of  koausa
website.Mr.Sapru has not substantiated what he has written,there is no
source qouted.Like me he seems not to have learned from your enlightened
self,about citations.
Please read Kalhana's Rajatarangni(Book V-128 to 227) and you will know that
Kalhana has no where mentioned that Sankarvarman destroyed
Parihaspura.Qouting Mr.Sapru as a source is like qouting me on some
Molecular Biology topic of which I can be at best be a student.
Learn to qoute from sources which are considered authentic and credible,not
mamus,chachus and tayas.
As reagrds Buddhism in Kashmir,you must not forget that it was because of
kashmiri scholars like Kumarjiv and Nagarjuna that Buddhism reached South
East Asia.I would also suggest that you read Dr,Advaitavadini Kaul's post
doctoral work "Buddhist Savants of Kashmir"No where has she found any
evidence of Hindu kings breaking Buddhist Viharas.The contribution of
Kashmiris in spreading of Buddhism is immense and we feel proud of our
syncretic contributions to the subcontinent.
Now we to go Islam and how it was spread.Of course it would be ideal that
you read Jonaraja,Srivara,Prajabhatta and Shuka to know the truth for
yourself but since you may have aversion to Brahman scholarship
Baharistan-i-Shahi and Tarikh-i-Hassan Khuihami might be the right ones for
you.It will take you some time to discover for yourself not just how
annihilation of "infidels" was a state policy but how such acts were
glorified in the name of Islam.The establishment of Islam in Kashmir and
conversion of Rinchan to Islam is itself a testament to
that.AgainBaharaistan-i-Shahi would be good source to know how spread
of Islam
happened.Shah-i-Hmadan's role is partcularly intriguing.In Hamadan no one
seems to know anything of him,I have spent months looking for any clues on
him and came back as clueless as I had gone to Iran.
I have written it in my mail to Wali Arifi(you probably missed it) that I
would love to live under a king like Bad-shah.So no questions about
it.Infact I have written a column recently where I have compared his rule
with that of Lalitaditya and Avantivarman.
Now let us to got the Kali Mandir which is a khanqah now.Do you know it was
Birbal Kachru who was the first soldier of Kashmir's independence.He lost
his entire family to cruel Afghan rulers because he sought help from Sikhs
to liberate Kashmir.His family was taken away by the Afghans and he never
heard of them again.It was incidentally Birbal Kachru(read History of
Kashmiri Pandits by Jia Lal Kilam,he was also a supporter of Independent
Kashmir)who persuaded Sikhs not to destory this Khanqah.They wanted to
rebuild the Kali temple after destroying the mosque that exists there.
Unless the self styled flag bearers recognise the contribution of Hindus to
the nationalist movement of Kashmir we would but be puting the cart before
the horse.It is time they understand and appreciate that people like Nadim
infused kashmiri nationalism into masses they may win Kashmir but only to
destroy it.
Also please note that after 14th century Kashmir has not produced any great
scholar.Compare that to the time when we Kashmir was the seat of learning
and in 400 years of cultural renaissance we had
Abhinaygupta,Anandvardhana,Bilhana,Kalhana,Sarangdev not to mention
thousands of other scholars like Mamat,Vasugupt,Mahimbhatta.I am not
mentioning people like Allama,Chakbast,Kunzru and  Rushdie here because they
prospered elsewhere and not in Kashmir.
It is time you dont preach secularism to us.We had till date protected naga
temples and shrines and it was us who revered
them.IncidentallyNilmatapurana(a vashnavaite purana written in
Kashmir) mentions Buddha as
one of the re-incarnations of Vishnu.In Kashmir Saivate,Buddhist,Vaishnavite
traditions lived and prospered together.
I will be glad to learn from you about Bengal's history of which I know
little.
I again apologise for spelling your name wrong.

Hosh Bar Dam,nazar bar kadam
dar majlis,dar anjuman

Regards

Rashneek

On 9/3/07, Shuddhabrata Sengupta <shuddha at sarai.net> wrote:

> Dear Rashneek,
>
> I have had no no desire to enter into an exhibition wrestling match
> about who knows more about the history of ancient and medieval Kashmir
> with you. I find the 'my scholarship is better than yours' variety of
> exchange tiresome, and not because I am not confident about my
> scholarship. I have resisted doing this till now, out of some sympathy
> for your commitment to your cause, not because I agree with it. But even
> my patience has limits.
>
> Let me just say that I am more than familiar with the sources you
> mention, and with several of the sources of the history of ancient and
> medieval Kashmir, not only because I am interested in the history of
> Kashmi (which I am) but also because there are remarkable parallels with
> the history of ancient and medieval Bengal.
>
> Both outposts, at either northern end of South Asia, were primarily
> Buddhist, used a variant of the Sarada script, and in both places the
> Buddhist cultural and social substratum was overwhelmed  by the early
> medieval brahminical revival, both were spearheads of tantric cults
> (Buddhist, Shaivite and Shakta) and both were ruled for long years by
> muslim kings, and became overwhelmingly muslim majority areas, not out
> of force but due to the way in which sufi orders (often quite syncretic
> in their practices) addressed ordinary and lower caste population, in
> both areas - a small Hindu upper caste elite that was patronized by
> Muslim kings, and in many ways protected by a large mass of muslim
> peasantry due to the sheer thickness of  day to day ritual obligations,
> shared customary practices and other relationships. There would not have
> been any Hindus in Bengal or in Kashmir if, the peasant muslim masses of
> Bengal and Kashmir had decided that they did not want any Hindus around.
> The weight of muslim numbers, in Bengal and in Kashmir, would have been
> enough.
>
> I have also no doubts about the veracity of the texts you mention.
> Muslim kings, like the kings and satraps of all religions destroyed, and
> built temples and persecuted, or patronized non muslim religious sects
> and their leaders, depending on what was convenient to do, and when. I
> do not make judgements about an entire people based on what a king has
> done or not done.
>
> However, since you have mentioned kings, let me add my two pice worth of
> historical information (though I promise to try and not do more)
>
> The saga of destruction of temples and places of worship in Kashmir
> begins, not with the advent of Muslim power, but with the ravages
> wrought by the revival of Brahmanical Hinduism in the Kashmir Valley. It
> was Sankarvarman (883-901), destroyed the Buddhist complex at
> Parihaspura and used the debris to construct his new capital. Since you
> seem to have a reasonably well stocked library of history on Kashmir,
> please refer to a far more balanced account of the History of Kashmir -
> [...]

Rashneek Kher
http://www.nietzschereborn.blogspot.com