[Reader-list] fwd: Killer-TV newsletter sept 2007 - with bits from India.

Patrice Riemens patrice at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 4 21:39:19 IST 2007

Waag Society’s KillerTV newsletter September 2007

KillerTV used the summer to move content from the
http://connect.waag.org site to the new www.killertv.nl site. The
complete Cyberspace Salvations (about new media and spirituality) and
Sentient Creatures series (on robotics, science and art) can be streamed
to your computer in full color. For most programs it is also possible to
download them as Quicktime –mov- files, you will need a Quicktime player
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ to watch them (or VLC for that
matter, a useful piece of –open source- software anyway). We will keep
on moving the video-content to the new site but if you are looking for
something that the killertv site does not provide check out
http://connect.waag.org , where all our old material is still available.
The new site also keeps on gathering content: recently we acquired a
documentary by Swati Desai about the Hole in the Wall-project. It shows
the well known project with computer kiosks that gives the population of
poor area’s in India a chance to get on the internet. The project is the
ideological predecessor of the 100$ laptop, a project of MIT’s Nicholas
Negroponte, that strives to give every child everywhere in the world a
cheap, smartly designed, laptop.

KillerTV is, apart from an eCulture channel, also a testbed for
streaming media experiments. The coming season we will test various
–more or less- collaborative streaming applications. We will also make
INTV available to our visitors, an interface to manipulate streaming
video, live and together with other users. It will be possible to log in
to a parallel stream where you can work on the images.

In the fall of 2007 we will start with an occasional streaming event.
The regular program begins in December. As usual, we will keep you
posted on the Killersite, the Waag Society website and off course in
this newsletter.

KillerTV is funded by:
VSB Fonds
Pauwhoffonds