[Reader-list] The Slaughterhouse

Shveta shveta at sarai.net
Wed Sep 5 12:15:31 IST 2007

Dear All,

This text, "The Slaughterhouse", is by Arish Quraishy. Arish, 20, was
associated with the Cybermohalla lab at LNJP for a few months, then left
to work at the slaughterhouse, only to return a few months later with
this text. He continues to work and be associated with the LNJP lab now.
The text has been translated from hindi.

warmly
shveta

----------------------

The Slaughterhouse
by Arish Quraishy

Today is my sixteenth day. It's 4:00 AM, at home everyone is still
asleep. Everyday at this hour I wear my dirty work clothes, put a fresh
set of clothes in a bag and set out for the shop by quarter past four. I
read the /kalma/ under my breath each day as I go. First, I take a three
wheeler to the market. The driver takes five passengers in one vehicle
and takes five rupees from each passenger.

I always sit between two people so that I am protected from the cold.
But that day luck was not on my side. One old uncle wanted to take my
place so he wouldn't feel cold. He said he wasn't feeling well and asked
if I would let him sit in my place. I shifted towards the side which was
open to the outside.

It was 4:20 in the morning, it was very cold, and the three wheeler was
moving fast. It was quite dark. Because of the speed, the route of 24
minutes was covered in 10 minutes. I got off at the goat market.
Everyone paid the auto driver five rupees in change and went towards
their work. The goat market is a big market. Lakhs of goats, sheep and
buffaloes are cut here from three in the morning. But this is not my
destination; I'm going to the hen market. The Kasabpura police station
lies in the way. This place has several names. Someone calls it
Kasabpura, someone Sadar police station, someone Idgah.

On the way, three men were passing with forty goats. One man pulled a
goat by its ear; the goat bleated loudly, holding back, falling, then
moving. The remaining thirty nine goats followed quietly behind him and
the two remaining men beat them with sticks from time to time to make
them move in line. I wondered how dragging one goat by its ear can
control an entire army of goats. The goat right in front can sense it's
going to be killed and so it struggles. One refuses to move because of
fear of death and the goats behind follow him for fear of getting their
ears pulled.

I reached my godown, put the bag with my clothes in one place and went
down to the shop. There are many shops that sell chicken on this street.
The surroundings are spacious. There are several buildings and people
who have homes here have raised their height over time. The godown in
which I work is managed by my close relatives; they own two big godowns
on this street. The godown has several nets; each net holds about sixty
hens. If all the nets get filled, the remaining hens are let loose on
the ground. One godown can hold roughly 7000 hens. Walking towards the
godown I saw the truck on the road in front of it was filled with crates
with hens. Two men had climbed on top of the truck and were taking down
the crates one by one. Men in pairs would take hold of the crates from
below and throw them on the ground with such force that even the hens
sleeping in them would wake up.

Each crate weighs around 18 to 24 kilos. After all the crates are
brought down, all the men begin pulling the hens out from them. There
were fourteen of us in all that morning. Four were from Nepal, seven
from Bihar and three, including me, were locals. The way the hens are
pulled out of the crates is by holding four in one hand and two in the
other and throwing them to a side. Once a crate is emptied, it weighs
ten kilos. When the crates begin to get empty, one man climbs up the
truck again and as everyone passes him back the crates, he pulls them up
and lines them up in the truck. In this way, we fill up both the godowns
before sunrise. It was our challenge to all the set-ups along the entire
road that if anyone else manages to finish this work before us, we would
give them Rs 10,000. The entire road knew no one was as quick as us. One
of the men from Nepal told me this; he is my friend, his name is Chi Chi.

By 7:00 AM we have between 300 to 400 hens ready in the net for cutting.
Two drums are kept next to these nets. As the hens are cut, they are
thrown inside these drums. One person holds the hen, the other cuts it.
The knives used are so sharp that if someone's finger comes in the way
it gets cut to an extent that it needs stitching back together.

A drum holds about 150 hens. After it fills, it needs to be turned over
and emptied. The one who cuts the hens also empties the drums.

That day I was really out of luck, because I was the one cutting the
hens. The man from Bihar who was holding down the hens for me said,
“Arish, empty the drums.” Now I have emptied drums with 40 to 60 hens
before, but I've never emptied one with 150 hens. I went and stood near
the drum. Immediately, the smell – no not the smell but the vapours from
the drum – they hit my brain. I felt dizzy. I turned to this man and
said I was feeling dizzy. He told me not to worry, that this happens in
the beginning, that I would get used to it in time. I said ok. The drum
was filled till the top. Hens had fallen one on top of the other, all of
them wet with the red blood; mouths were open, eyes shut and the veins
from the necks protruded out.

There are two doors to the shop. One, which is the main door, is made of
glass. Customers come in through it and meat readied for sale is also
brought into the shop through it. Next to it, by the wall, is quite a
big fridge in which frozen hens are kept. Across from it is a counter
where the munshi sits and records all transactions. A huge weighing
balance is kept there; we call it /kaanta/. Knives of different sizes
are kept by the /kaanta/. A man sits there and cuts and weighs the hens.
All the labour sits beneath his bench on a wooden platform in a row. One
quickly cuts off the wings, claws and tail end of the hens, which is
once again thrown onto the floor. Another picks up one hen at a time and
peels it like a banana. These men are so skilled that they can unclothe
a hen, chuck its casing to a side and fling the hen next to the man
sitting on the bench above them in ten seconds.

It was the man again, “What are you thinking? Empty the drum or the
consignment will get spoiled.” Saying “sorry, sorry” I titled the top of
the drum towards the shop and tried to lift it from below; but I
couldn't do it. I said, “/Yaar/, I can't lift it, it's too heavy for
me.” He said, “OK, I will hold it from this side and you hold it from
the other.” We lifted the drum together and turned it over. It took us
more than one minute to do this. All the men in the shop began to cheer
to encourage me. Then they clapped and poked fun at me, “Wow Arish, you
are one powerful guy.” I laughed. I was thinking, all the effort was
this other man, the real muscle power – why are they giving me
accolades? I am so thin and he is so well built. I said, “Come on, let
it be!” Then I stepped out onto the road.

There is a hotel next to our shop. Nihari is prepared here in a huge
vessel, by lighting wood under it. It gives out so much smoke that it
makes your eyes smart. All this smoke makes its way inside our shop
because of which we have to keep the door to the shop closed and also
keep telling the people working in the hotel, “Come on, use a fan to
direct the smoke in the other direction.”

At around 9:00 AM, I have to set off with a slip to the /chacha/ who
make tea. There is a small noting pad in our shop and it has a slip
which says '14 cups of tea and 14 rusks'. I remind someone, “/Bhai,/ it
is time for tea”, and am handed this slip and I go to the tea shop. The
tea shop is near the other godown. /Chacha/ always wears /kurta-pyjama/
and covers his head with a /topi/. His shop is very small. It has a huge
saucer for frying which is always filled with milk and next to it lies a
table with a gas burner on it. /Chacha/ makes tea on a frying pan on
this burner. Cups, glasses and saucers for serving tea are kept close
by. There is a young boy in //chacha//'s shop who cleans the table and
washes the used cups, glasses and saucers and arranges them back in
their place in a single row.

I handed the slip to /chacha/ and said, “Send the tea and the rusks over
to our place quickly.” /Chacha/ said, “The boy has just stepped out on a
chore and it will be some time before he returns. Why don't you wait and
take the tea with you. ” I sat down. Just then a man came and sat next
to me. He looked drunk from the previous night and it seemed to me he
had come to /chacha/'s shop to drink tea and get over his hangover. He
was very quiet and his body was swaying. Then he turned to me and said,
“Can you give me some water to drink. I am feeling a bit dizzy.” I gave
him water, he thanked me, and I said it was no problem. Then he became
quiet again. By then /chacha/ had started preparing our tea. What I like
about //chacha/ /is that he always uses fresh tea leaves so his tea
turns out well. Sitting there I suddenly thought for a moment, “If only
I was here by myself and not here on work. I would have had no worry nor
anxiety about work, and would have sat here comfortably drinking my cup
of tea, watching others doing their work. There, someone is out in the
sun, pulling hens out of crates and cutting them, someone is packing
them, someone is taking the packed parcels and loading them onto
rickshas, someone is passing on his way to somewhere else, someone is
rushing past. Cars, rickshas, trucks, scooters – all these pass by here
and it's always crowded between 8:00 in the morning to 2:00 in the
afternoon...” Tea was ready and I took the tray with the glasses of tea
in one hand and the rusks in the other and head back towards my shop.

On seeing me, everyone stopped work and got up to wash their hands to
have tea. Each person picks up one glass and one rusk and settles down
with them in their own corners. I wash my hands. Hands must be scrubbed
very well because there is no soap. After drinking tea we will all get
down to pulling the outer skin off the hens and our hands will get dirty
again.

The way to peel a hen is very specific. First hold the hen in one hand
and pull one of its legs. It's skin will tear. Insert four fingers under
the skin and pull with abrupt force. The skin will come off from one
side. Then do the same thing with the other leg. Now turn the hen over
and break its head from the neck. Push your fingers into its stomach and
pull out its intestines and discard them to one side.

I keep thinking Babli, Nasreen or Neelofar would find this very
difficult to look at. Because in the beginning I had found it very
difficult as well and I had thrown up. I didn't like being in this
environment at all. But work is work, after all, and I had to endure. I
didn't have any options.

By noon, all the work is done and cleaning begins. We collect everything
that has been discarded with /phawdas/ and collect them into
wheelbarrows. These are then taken to the big garbage dump behind the
Idgah. I have never seen such quantity of garbage as I have seen in this
garbage dump. We finish doing this by 12:30. The shop is washed by
spraying water from the taps by using one meter long hose pipes, soap
and brooms. Blood and tissue that remains stuck to the walls is scraped
off with knives. No one walking into our shop after 1:00 PM will be able
to make out the place was so dirty in the morning. By afternoon, the
place doesn't look like a shop but a showroom.

Then everyone goes to the godown to bathe. After bathing, those who live
there will cook. They eat chicken and rice everyday. Someone takes a
bath immediately, and someone goes to sleep first. Everyone is very
tired by this time. I bathe, get into my fresh set of clothes and make
my way to the market to catch a ricksha ride to Paharganj. From there I
take a bus home. At home, I eat and lie down to sleep, thinking, “Why do
the hens have to be thrown around so much?”

Arish // March 2007 // LNJP Lab
Translation 1.0 // July 2007