[Reader-list] marseillaise (was Two Iqbals & One Fai[z]) re-posting

yasir ~ yasir.media at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 04:57:51 IST 2007

KK:

a variation it is (Raamesh Gowri Raghavan's) of the marseillaise more
than it is of faiz

but if the marseillaise (the french national anthem) is the music, it
should be sung by someone who is iqbal bano's match in representing an
era, piaf.  piaf singing faiz.

http://www.firstfoot.com/News/images/Edith Piaf - Marseillaise.mp3
(i cant tell if this is the real piaf or from the new movie on her. fred?)

cant help but note the marseillaise being slightly bloodier than faiz
or raghavan
http://www.elysee.fr/elysee/elysee.fr/anglais/the_symbols_of_the_republic/the_marseillaise/the_marseillaise.20352.html

and the absence of religious metaphor as in faiz's
'raaj karay gee khalq e khudaa' or as hard as that is to translate.
raaj karay gee : will rule
khalq e khuda : lit. creation of god - but also meaning the laity,
crowd, people, awaam

or, utthay ga analhaq kaa naara
the cry 'i am truth/god' will rise above (mansur hallaj was crucified
for this utterance)

i mean there is no mystery in this. no otherness. thats very nice. so
jan man gan is ok on that count.

best

yasir