[Reader-list] Lists and assaults

Rana Dasgupta rana at ranadasgupta.com
Sat Sep 8 17:00:57 IST 2007

It's been an interesting few weeks on this list.  Some might say "We've
never had it so good" - since there have been far more posts, with far
more responses, than usual.

Others might feel that this has been the Reader-list's lowest ever point
- its usual solemn tone and good opinions giving way to a running
sit-com of ad feminam assaults.

Given the seriousness of some of the issues at stake, and the enormous
gulfs of understanding between some of the contributors, I have to say
I've admired the restraint of many of the writers on the list.  People
have held themselves back from expressing outright disgust, or from
violent attacks.

It seems that there's a sense that one can't say just anything.  Or if
one did, it would erode the fabric of the list.  People have to balance
their own irritation or repugnance with a desire to uphold the
hospitality and vitality of the list.

I think this says something very positive about the culture of a list.