[Reader-list] Thoughts about Indo Centrism from Istanbul

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Sep 10 05:49:57 IST 2007

Dear All,

I am delighted to see the amount of noise and energy on this list. And
to see that it is not all only about the indignation of ARKP+VD.It makes
me fee that the 'community of correspondents' that Jeebesh has invoked
is not a fiction after all. Whether it is shamans, jeans or any other
matter, it will be discussed, and discussed threadbare.

I want to take up Naeem's point about Indo-Centrism, because I think it
is extremely significant. The default 'we' that most Indians
irrespective of political affiliation assume has been grating against my
consciousness of a while now. And I realize that in obsessing with the
Indian state (and its shadow boxers') obsession with their nationalist
paranoia, I too am guilty of occasionally indulging in that default
'we'. Apologies. From now on every 'we' that I will type will be as
capacious as you, my fellow readers make it. I renounce any claim to any
  boundary or border around the first person plural.

But since I have been declared an undercover Bangladeshi by an ARKP
personnel, let me at least rejoice in my divided (or should I say
multiplied) loyalties. My delight is a Turkish Delight at being accused
of possessing suspect loyalties.

I spent this evening looking out on to the piece of water that divides
Asia from Europe, I mean the narrow strip called the Bosphorus Strait
bisects the city of Istanbul. I could not help wondering, as I sat
sipping Raki and committing unprintable oral blasphemies against the
three abrahamic faiths and a few non abrahamic ones, including Turkish
and Indian secular nationalism, how inconsequential the lines that we
draw on the map actually are. Here was a city that straddled two
continents with confidence, that had seen the rise and fall of empires
and nations, that embraced pious atheists and doubting muslims and
lapsed christians and non kosher jews in its arms, that continuously
asked us to refine our declarations of certainty about who we think we
are in the direction of a graceful, civilized yet playful skepticism.

On Istiklal Caddeshi, the central pedestrian thoroughfare of Istanbul, I
saw young women (some who wore a headscarf, and most who did not),
spontaneously break into a dance to greet a midnight thunderstorm. I saw
friendship and solidarities that cut through the headscarf/non-headscarf
issue. I heard laughter and singing compete with the call for prayer. I
watched old men play backgammon, drink beer, head into a mosque for
prayer, and then come out and play backgammon and drink beer again. The
rhythms of everyday life in a city like Istanbul make our (and here by
using the word 'our' I am gesturing to the sad diminished 'Indian' we)
nervous anxieties about identity seem utterly insignificant.

I spent a long time talking Quranic exegesis, asking questions about
Nazim Hikmet's poem to mysterious Bengali friend (a certain Bannerji,
who the Turks call 'Benerji') who committed suicide, and laughed at
wicked jokes about why there is not yet a Muslim version of the Da Vinci
code.

I heard sorrow at how it was turkish secularism that wraps the historic
tragedy of the Armenian genocide in the shroud of silence. I heard many
conflicting versions of history - Kemalist, Communist, Anarchist,
Islamist, Ottoman but I did not find the arrogant, pompous, self
righteous tone that so easily enters an 'Indian' (or should I say
'Indo-Centric' conversation) where past and present, truth, lies and
fabrications are hurled about freely to score cheap points.

I also heard an affection, from a few lurking turks that are reading
everything we write on the Sarai Reader List about the way issues to do
nationalism are confronted on the list, and particularly about how
issues to do with Kashmir have been discussed in the recent days. There
was amusement at the ARKP+ VD antics (guys, I mean ARKP + VD, you just
lost the Istanbul vote, even though people find you hugely entertaining
in) and then there was recounting of parallel narratives of how Turkish
nationalists (both Secular and Islamist) froth at the mouth when they
have to deal with the 'Kurdish' question. Perhaps, with time, they (the
lurking turks) will make their voices and thoughts heard, and make this
list less 'Indo-Centric' and more hospitable to currents and ideas from
everywhere.

In the last few weeks we have had a few sad and pathetic attempts at
Islamophobia on this list. These attempts betray a tremendous ignorance
of the diversity within islamicate cultures and spaces. While in
Istanbul, I stepped into the maginificient Hagia Sophia, which has had
different lives in different epochs, as pagan temple, christian
basilica, moslem mosque and secular museum. But there is no denying that
it remains before us as a living testimony of the catholicity of Ottoman
Islamicate culture. The byzantine mosaics of Christ Pantocrator, the
Virgin Mary and St. John the Baptist continue to astound us today,
mainly because no Muslim sultan ever destroyed them, or even thought of
destroying them. Today they happily occupy a space that also accomodates
giant and beautiful calligraphic medallions that invoke Allah, Muhammad,
Ali, Umar, Abu-Baqer, Hasan and Husain (sadly, Fatima, my personal
favourite, is absent).

The Christian Icons were 'veiled' by a plastering device that also
served to prolong their life and preserve them. And they were restored
in the nineteenth century by the order of the reigning Caliph.

Similarly, the presence of beautiful synagogues in Istanbul is a
terstament to the fact that the Ottoman empire was a place where Spanish
and Portugese speaking Jews fleeing the christian inquisition found
refuge. Istanbul continues to be a significantly Jewish city, and
despite occasional provocations from the lunatic fringe, no one even
dreams of Muslim-Jewish enmity taking a popular form. The anti-semitic
veneer (not to be confused with anti-zionism) of both secular as well as
islamist forms of Arab nationalism is a non issue in Istanbul. Neither
secular Turks, nor mainstream Islamists have any truck with
anti-semitism of any kind. And this in a society that contains the
largest jewish population after Israel in the middle east.

And it was the Muslim Caliph who guaranteed and underwrote the power of
the Christian 'millet' in Turkey. Even the fact that Yazidism, a
pre-Islamic synrectic religion with strong pagan currents has survived
till today in Turkish Kurdistan, Armenia, and Northern Iraq is signatory
of the tolerance of Ottoman culture.

This is not to say that the Ottoman Empire, or modern Turkey were, or
are model societies by any means. Ottoman rulers were tyrants, and
Turkey has had ruthless and violent military rule. Kemalism, or the
ideology of secular turkish nationalism is not a particularly benign
form of politics, and it has waged a war aginst Kurdish minorities, not
unlike the way in which the Indian state has dealth with Kashmir. I
write this not to glamourize Turkey but only to illustrate the obvious
and not very interesting point that goes to show that Islamicate society
and forms of political power have a historical record of a far higher
degree of tolerance towards religious difference than is commonly
understood.

I feel that there is a lot we can all learn if we try and cultivate an
interest and curiosity about the history of places like Istanbul. For
that to happen, the Indians on this list, both patriots and
internationalists, will have to be a little more modest and realize that
India is not the centre of the world, or indeed of the universe. The
world does not, in fact have a centre. And what a relief it is to
realize this simple fact.

many salaams from Istanbul.

Shuddha