[Reader-list] Of mocking and an "intellectual community"

Rana Dasgupta rana at ranadasgupta.com
Mon Sep 10 20:18:30 IST 2007

Kshmendra Kaul wrote:
> It appears that for some in this "intellectual community", it is an "intellectual"  accomplishment to make fun of someone's lack of familiarity with and skill at the English language.

Listen I'm not going to defend my ridiculous post about jeans.

But it wasn't about anyone's command of language.  Everyone makes
mistakes like that; in this case serendipity produced nice effects.  The
return of the repressed, or something like it.

No: my mail was about what imaginary communities one considers oneself
to be part of.  Dhatri brings it back in her last mail:

 >USA IS HAVING JUST 500 YEARS OF HISTORY
 > EUROPE --PROBABLY 3000 YEARS
 > ASIA - INDIA IS THE OLDEST

I have three questions to Dhatri, and to anyone else who may care to answer:

Question 1:

What does it mean to say that "Europe" has 3000 years of history?  Is
there *anything* that persists across such a period of time, beyond just
land itself?  Can a modern European really claim any kinship with
someone who lived in the same landmass 3000 years ago?  Does s/he not
have more in common with *anyone* on the planet today than with this
notional ancestor?  If, therefore, the European can imagine a
relationship of kinship with that person of 3000 years ago, does it not
mean that s/he can imagine kinship with *anyone*, and has s/he not
entirely overcome all human limits - such as the idea of "Europe"?

Lists of originary moments tell us nothing about anything.  I would say
that America is an older society than most of Europe because it has
lived with the same language of the state for over two centuries.  an
18th century american would not have to learn many new concepts to
parcipate in contemporary american politics, while an 18th century
venetian or prussian would be bewildered by modern italy or germany.

So why the insistence on India's ancient origins?  How does it help to
explain who you are - you who are so modern in your concerns?  You have
surely more in common with the British and the Mughals than you do with
someone from Harappa - for whom your idea of "India" would be entirely
mystfying.  And, if you *are* able to perform such a feat as to imagine
kinship with a citizen of Harappa, why can you not imagine kinship with
far more proximate figures? - citizens of Pakistan, for instance, who
are like you in nearly every respect, or citizens of Afghanistan or America?

Question 2

When you are able to think across such enormous timescales - 5000 years
or so - why does *everything* not become relativised?  Over such a
period, nothing has remained the same - no border has remained stable,
no ruling clan has stayed in charge.  Every group has committed
violence, and every group has been defeated.  (Your list of Indian
invaders, by the way, does not include Emperor Ashoka, who invaded so
many lands that were not his own, and whose violence was so sickening
that even he was forced to turn away.)

Why are you not left with a sense of eternal change, and a benign
indifference to who happens to be in today?  You speak of "pain" - but
there are many things apart from pain in this vast period of time.  Or
at least, there is no more pain here than in any other place of the
world.  History being, to paraphrase Bernard Malamud, "a tragedy full of
joy".

How can you draw out of such a vast and complex period just one simple
story?  Isn't this an affront to your own history?

Question 3

What is your utopia?  If you were free to rewrite history, if there had
been an eternal Hindu India, if there had never been any Persians or
Mongols or British to irritate this narrative sweep, what is the
paradise that such a history would have produced in the present?  In
what terms would you describe it to yourself - peace, harmony, military
might, wealth, spiritual achievement? - and what would its relations be
with the outside world?

Yours