[Reader-list] Two Iqbals & One Faiz and AnalHaq

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 07:04:48 IST 2007

Hi Yasir
That was a very interesting post.Are you saying that
sufism has been interpreted differently by different
scholars,and hence there is no essential nature of
sufism?In my simplistic understanding,sufism is
something very personal;between an individual and
God;to remove every obstacle/diversion between the
two.
Analhaq is a good summary statement of sufism.
So when you say that Iqbal says "sufism was not an
abstraction but lay in re-engaging with the collective
community",I somehow find Iqbal's redefinition
unpalatable.
For example,as you yourself have said,Maududi cant be
called sufi by any stretch of imagination.
I hope you will excuse my limited understanding of the
subject.
My second question is about anal haq.I somehow find
Faiz's usage of this phrase disingenuous.Faiz would
have known its history,Im sure.What was his intention?
If this is about a movement against dictatorship,why
bring a phrase which has religious overtones and which
is connected with apostasy into it?
Thank you
Rahul

&lt;https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>