[Reader-list] On Indocentrism & Taslima Nasreen

Gargi Sen sen.gargi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 02:39:14 IST 2007

Dear Naeem,
Fascinating read. But tell me, what does this narration have to do with the
points I raised? The fundamental one being Art, and artists, are often
attacked if they step into terrains contested by political regimes, ideology
or organised religion.

You picked one sentence from my rather long post, the crux of a long
paragraph, which is, I quote

³The debate to my mind is fundamentally about Art entering contested
terrains. It's primarily about art and artistic freedom in areas of
conflict. So it is incidentally about Jashn-e-azadi and Sanjay Kak but more
about freedom or how we are allowed to engage with it. Nevertheless, it is
also about the two as they - the film and the artist - are being evoked over
and over. Replace these two names with Taslima Nasreen and 'Lajja' (Shame)
or any other two from growing history of art and artists in exile/ silenced/
under threat/ forced to migrate/ killed and tell me has the contour of the
debate sifted in any significant manner?²

Do me a favour, re-read the paragraph/ post but replace Taslima Nasreen and
Lajja with Pablo Neruda and Giberto Gil. Both artists, both exiled for their
political positions articulated through art, both ministers of cultures in
their respective nations subsequently, separated though by time, one dead
and one still singing. ANd please tell me what is your point. I simply don¹t
understand.

I too will think more and write further. I have just returned home after
being on the road for a few days and the last leg of the journey that
involved endless waiting in a crowded airport and stretched travelling time
to three times the original, has exhausted me. So I will write when
refreshed and energised.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading the interesting account.

Gargi