[Reader-list] Ritual of eating ashes

Ayona Datta ayonadatta at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 12 18:41:38 IST 2007

Dear Readers,

Does anyone know about the ritual of eating ashes? I recently encountered this when someone ate the ashes from an incense pot after finishing her prayers. Having never seen this before, I am wondering if someone can shed light on this. Is this something connected to religion, caste, ethnicity etc? or was this a one-off? Sorry for my ignorance, but I would appreciate some help on this to understand some of my research experiences.

Many Thanks
Ayona