[Reader-list] PUDR Report on Red Fort Case - Link and an Excerpt

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Thu Sep 13 16:40:52 IST 2007

Dear Shivam, dear all,

Many thanks, Shivam, for pointing us to these two excellent links about
the murky workings of what I have earlier called (following a Turkish
usage) the 'Deep State' in India in your recent posting -  [Reader-list
:"The questioning of the arrested persons is on now" he said.]

Today is another really sad day as once again the judiciary seems to be
intent on handing out a death sentence (in the Red Fort attack case)
without having gone through the minimum procedural requirements of
attending to a thorough investigation of the matter.

The sad and tragic fate of one of the accused in the Red Fort Case, a
man named Ashfaq, is a Kafkaesque story with some really bizarre turns.
While the High Court today, confirmed the death sentence passed on him
by the trial court , we might do well to examine some of the things that
Ashfaq said in the course of his trial under section 313. Once again, we
will be forced to ask whether or not, like in the 13 December case, the
real protagonists of this attack are enjoying the distinction of
continuing to remain in the shadows, while the pawns in the game are
being sentenced to death. I urge you all to pay special attention to
those parts of Ashfaq's testimony that attest to his relationship with
an individual named Nain Singh (see below)

I enclose below, an excerpt from an excellently researched document 'An
Unfair Verdict' authored by an investigative team from the Peoples Union
for Democratic Rights (PUDR) on the Red Fort Case, which was released on
December 12, 2006

The entire report is available as a pdf file at - (scroll down to the
third report on this webpage)

http://www.pudr.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=55&Itemid=63

regards,

Shuddha

The story of Ashfaq : A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery inside an Enigma
  (Excerpted from the PUDR Report - 'An Unfair Verdict' on the Red Fort
Case)

While Ashfaq’s Pakistani citizenship is admitted, other information is
not as clear. Why did he come to India, at whose behest and what was he
doing in Delhi? Ashfaq provides answers to some of these questions.
While the Court has ignored most of these answers completely, they do
appear to be corroborated by other evidence.

In the statement of the accused (u/s 313, CrPC) in the court, when asked
if he had anything to say (Q. no. 392), Ashfaq stated -

“I used to work for ‘X’ branch, RAW [Research and Analysis Wing of the
Cabinet Secretariat] since 1997. In the last days of June 2000, I had
come to Kathmandu to give some documents to Sanjeev Gupta and I had
reached there from Pakistan by a PIA flight on my passport no. 634417.
In Pakistan, there is political party by the name of Pakhtoon milli
party and RAW is supporting that party for the last 30-35 years. Sh
Sagri Khan was member of that party and he was arrested by the police of
Pakistan along with my younger brother. I received this news in
Kathmandu and I spoke to Sh Sanjeev Gupta in this regard. My cousin had
also advised me not to return to Pakistan for time being.

Thereafter, Sh Sanjeev Gupta advised me to go to India and accompanied
me upto Rauxol and from there I came to India by train. He gave me the
address of Nain Singh and telephoned Nain Singh on 6834454 for
accommodating me. Thereafter Nain Singh gave me a room in his house for
my stay. He advised me not to tell my real name and address to anyone
and to disclose myself as a resident of Jammu. Nain Singh used to do the
business of money lending and I used to help in maintaining his
accounts. After about one and a half month, I asked Nain Singh to get me
some job as my money had already run out.

Thereafter he got me opened the computer centre. Thereafter Nain Singh
got sent some money through Sanjeev Gupta and the amount was around
seven lacs, but Nain Singh did not disclose about receiving this huge
amount… Thereafter I contacted my family and they asked to speak to
Sanjeev Gupta who told me about sending Rs six lacs fifty thousand/seven
lacs to Nain Singh. Thereafter on the asking of Sanjeev Gupta, Nain
Singh got my bank account opened in HDFC bank… One Chaman Lal in Chandni
Chowk and one Sardarji in Karol Bagh are also engaged in the business of
money lending and I used to collect money from them on behalf of Nain
Singh. On the birthday party of his son, Nain Singh got me introduced to
Ins RS Bhasin and Ins Ved Prakash… On 25.12.2000 Nain Singh called me
from computer centre to his house. Thereafter, those two persons who
were in plainclothes and had come to my house in a white Maruti Zen car
took me to a flat in Lodhi Colony, where both the inspectors along with
one Sikh officer (were) present… I was interrogated by them about my
entire background. Thereafter I was dropped at the house of Nain Singh…
Nain Singh was not present at his house but his wife informed me about
the telephonic call received from my in-laws at Ghazipur regarding
dinner in the evening. I tried to make a call to my in-laws but could
not get through. Thereafter I took a bus and reached the house of my
in-laws. I asked my in-laws whether they had made a call to which they
replied in negatives. I had reached there at about 8 to 8.30 pm and had
finished our dinner at 10.00 pm when the police party raided the house…”

The RAW angle is further substantiated when in his testimony in Court,
Nain Singh (PW 20) states that he is working as Senior Field Assistant
in the Cabinet Secretariat. While he denies working as an Intelligence
man in the Cabinet Secretariat, he states, “I cannot disclose whether I
am working for RAW”. Despite being asked specifically, Nain Singh states
that he can not disclose his official address or those of the offices
visited by him and adds, “I can not say whether I am not disclosing
these addresses as my identity in the public would be disclosed.”
Curiously he also claims that he cannot produce his identity card in
open court and the testimony records that the I-Card was shown only to
the Judge. No formal exemption appears to have been pleaded and
accepted. The findings of the Judge on the identity card too are unknown
as none of the above is referred to in the Judgement of the court
despite being present in the records of the cross examination in the Court.

The fact that an alleged LeT militant was living in the house of a RAW
agent leads to many questions. These have not bothered the learned
Judge. In fact the only reference made to Ashfaq’s alleged RAW
background was a sarcastic reference at Page 306 when the Judge observes
that Ashfaq is obviously educated as he has claimed to a RAW agent. The
Court does not give any importance to the above statement of Ashfaq made
in the Court despite the fact that it explains various incriminating
circumstances against Ashfaq.

Not only that but the statement also answers another vital question, one
that the Prosecution does not. What was Ashfaq’s place of residence in
the last few months? The prosecution leads no evidence to show where he
was staying but states blandly that Ashfaq resided with Rehmana. In
response to question no. 55, Ashfaq categorically states -

  “I stayed in the house of Mr Nain Singh from June/July 2000 till the
date of my arrest on the recommendation of Mr Sanjeev Gupta, but not on
rent.”

The exact relationship between Ashfaq and Nain Singh is murky, at best.
The investigation has clearly not looked into such aspects of the case,
despite this providing a reasonable hypothesis for the various facts.
There is much in the account of well known prisoners who escaped
concocted cases mounted against them such as Iftekhar Geelani and SAR
Geelani as well as their account of fellow prisoners in Tihar jail which
suggests that it is possible to falsely implicate a person, manufacture
and plant evidence. Such instances do not allow us the comfort of
rejecting them outright.

The implications of a Pakistani citizen alleged to be a LeT militant,
living in the house of a RAW agent who also assists him with money and a
job, are perhaps too vast for this report. Yet the manner in which the
Court has completely overlooked these questions, even where the
Prosecution has no better evidence to support its claims, raises serious
doubts about the fairness of the trial and the conviction being a
foregone conclusion – once his Pakistani identity is admitted and he is
charged of being a terrorist.